The whole earth became dark... The Temple curtain split right down the middle. Jesus called loudly, 'Father, I place my life in your hands!' Then he breathed his last. (23:45-46)
At this moment, Jesus became completely helpless and totally dependent. His life was not His to protect, to own, to keep. He placed His life in the hands of His Father.
Desperate, I throw myself on you: you are my God! Hour by hour I place my days in your hand, safe from the hands out to get me. (Psalm 31:14-15, Msg)
My sheep recognize my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them real and eternal life. They are protected from the Destroyer for good. No one can steal them from out of my hand. (John 10:29, Msg)
When I threw myself on God's grace, desperate in my sin, He took hold of my life. I'm safe and protected in His hands. Jesus died so that He could place me there. My daily choice now is whether to submit to the One who holds my life or to struggle against His grasp, like the preschooler who wriggles and pulls at her hand held firmly by a parent.
"Jesus gave himself up; he died to himself to save us and make us his. Now we give ourselves up, we die to ourselves, first when we repent and believe the gospel, and later as we submit to his will day by day. Subordinating ourselves to him, however, is radically safe, because he has already shown that he was willing to go to hell and back for us." (Tim Keller, The Meaning of Marriage)
1 comment:
I love sitting and focusing on how Jesus was completely helpless and totally dependent for us this morning. When I read about how Pilate, the chief priests, the rulers and the people could not find this man guilty and how he didn't deserve it. It just sinks in deeper that it wasn't the law that killed Jesus, it was us. We wanted him dead so bad. It was the sin in us. Our sin that leads to death. We killed Jesus because of our sin.
And he went to hell and back for us. Because of his mighty powerful perfect amazing love for us. Luke 23:18 At that, the crowd went wild: "Kill him! Give us Barabbas!" THE CROWD WENT WILD to kill an innocent man. And he went through and died for us-for me.
Lord will you help to make my sadness over my sin and others sin turn into true hatred for sin. Help me to flee from temptation to continue a life in sin and to live a life filled of Your Spirit. Thank you for helping me to see today your love for me just that much more. Thank You for dying for me, as we especially remember that during this easter season- help it to sink in deep in my heart that you didn't just die for all- you died for me. Jesus, remember me when you enter your kingdom. I love You, my Lord and Savior. Bind my wandering heart to thee & help me to share Your love with all those around me today. I pray that Your love would just flow out of me and I would go out and proclaim your name to the nations. You are worthy.
Post a Comment