It's interesting to me that we're given the meanings of some of the names: Jabez means "Oh the pain!" (3:9-10). Beriah means "Unlucky" (7:23). As a mother, it's difficult to imagine burdening a baby with such a name just because of the circumstances of the birth. It also cracks me up how I'll meet an international family or someone with an ethnic name and reply with "what a unique name - what does it mean?" And they look at me with a quizzical stare. Like I even know what my own name means!
If my mom had named me according to her life circumstances, my name might mean something like: "oops" or "we thought she would be a boy"! In my adult life, I have been labeled "efficient" and "reliable", which sound decent enough. When my husband recently wrote a bio on our family to use in a conference program, he described me as having an industrial engineering background that she now uses to run an efficient household. (Hear me, it's not really that efficient and certainly not clean - I just simplify a lot!) I know he meant well and I do try to receive it with the fondness that he intends. But this label is not who I am. It misses my heart. My heart is that I run an efficient household so that it doesn't get in the way of real living and loving in Christ.
I wonder if Jabez and Beriah felt misunderstood as well. They were labeled, as we often are, with words that are limited, one-dimensional and hurtful. Anyone who met them would have to spend time with them to get past the first impression that their names left.
It's not so with God - His Name is Who He is. And He has many names: God-Who-Hears, Eternal God, Merciful God, God-Sees-to-It, God Provides, Mighty God, Deliverer, Savior... These are just a few that we have been introduced to so far. What other names of God have you picked up on as we've read through the Old Testament? Any that were particularly meaningful for you?
7 comments:
In this rendering of the Bible, I really like the variation on the more familiar names of God. It makes me stop and think.
Like with Hagar's name for God - God-Alive-Sees-Me. (Genesis 16:13)
Another hopeful one for me - I am the God who makes you holy. Please, Lord!
This final one that came to mind is from a conversation that Samson's father had with an angel of God. It's not God's name, but it makes me pause and think about how amazing our God who names us is: The angel of God said, "What's this? You ask for my name? You wouldn't understand - it's sheer wonder." (Judges 13:18) It's SHEER WONDER!
Cic - if you'd like, I'll call you Sheer Wonder from now on. ;-)
I thought Asriel was interesting - he was Gargamel's cat on the cartoon, The Smurfs.
When I named my own kids, the meaning wasn't important for all of them. I wonder if how much of an impact names had then compared to nowadays. Did they ever "just like the name"? (reading some of those names, I'm thinking "no".)
It's funny; when J and I were first married, I got a new driver's license. The DMV told me I could not just add my married name to the end of my name (uh - why not??!) The woman flat-out told me, "You have to drop one of your names." Adament that I did not have to DROP any part of my name, I combined my middle and maiden names to one word (two capitals)and added my new married to the end. My sweet, non-confrontational husband, not understanding what the "bid deal" was, said, "I don't know why you're making such a big deal out of this; it's just a name!" My immediate response was, "It's 'just a name' until it's YOUR name!!!" And he got it. Regardless of your name, it's something that's only yours (even if shared by many people worldwide you hopefully won't meet!) Even having a name often misspelled - we correct someone because, that's not "our" name.
Staci - since your name's a derivative of Anastasia, your name means "the Resurrection". Just sayin'...
So, Stacy with a "y" has to weigh in about what you had to say about names, Stacey! I totally identify about it being a big deal! I used to get so offended when people would misspell my name. What for? What is the big deal?! But it is how I saw myself. Can't really explain exactly what I mean by that but I do know I was all wrapped up in me, myself, and I. God knows me and loves me and someday is going to give me a new name! In the meantime, I need to focus on His names. Thank you guys for prompting me to go back through and look for His different names. Maybe it will get my mind off of me for a bit!!
Wow, Stacey, you were on a roll this morning, huh?!?
And yes, little sister, you MAY call me Sheer Wonder. Don't forget it. ;-)
I decided to look up the meaning of my name. No shocker - "Cici" wasn't listed. (In our family, it was a mis-pronounciation of "sissy." Soapbox moment: Don't call your kids weird nicknames - they can stick forever!) But Cicily was listed, and the definition said "derivation of Cecelia." So I looked up Cecelia. It means BLIND. Perfect! But my given name is Teresa, and that means 'harvester." Much better. Not as good as "The Resurrection" but not bad. :-)
just for kicks I looked up the meaning of my name too! Christina means "follower of Christ" :) so cool!
It's funny because thats not why my parents named me Christina. I was born on Christopher Columbus day, so they had that name, Christopher, in mind off the top of their head- thank God I wasn't a boy!!! And then they thought of Christina. But God knew :)
oh! and today I'm meditating on the "Present-Incomparable God" I'm reading a book called "What is God really like?" by Craig Groeschel and others. such a great read, soaking in who God is and worshipping Him, just Him. so perfect because it takes about all different "names" God has, who He IS. :) anyone read it before? i recommend it :)
Cic - I like "blind". (glasses much??!) hehe ;-)
Post a Comment