Followers

Thursday, January 6, 2011

January 6 - Genesis 19-21: Merciful God

"God was so merciful to them!"  (19:16)
Lot's response to the warning to evacuate was needing a push (v. 15), dragging his feet (v. 16), protesting (v. 18) and making a mountain out of a mole hill, literally (v. 17 - 19).  Lot decided that the hills might contain a "terrible thing" and asked God for what was familiar to him:  "a small town...a mere wide place in the road."  And God let Lot have his way.

God has saved me from utter destruction as well.  Am I more afraid of the "hills" of unknown where God is leading me than I fear my own way to what I know?  Like Lot, I often choose the appearance of what I believe to be safe and God lets me have my way.  But, what did I miss in God's choice for me -- the unknown?

In Forgotten God, Francis Chan puts it this way:
"When it comes down to it, many of us do not really want to be led by the Holy Spirit.  Or, more fundamentally, many of us don't want to be led by anyone other than ourselves.  The whole idea of giving up control (or the delusion of it) is terrifying, isn't it?...The truth is that the Spirit of the living God is guaranteed to ask you to go somewhere or do something that you wouldn't normally want or choose to do.  The Spirit will lead you to the way of the cross, as He led Jesus to the cross, and that is definitely not a safe or pretty or comfortable place to be."
 God, thank you for your mercy to me, a sinner who chooses her own way.  Lead me to Your way, come what may.

10 comments:

Sarah Evers said...

I read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah with a lot of interest because we're moving to Brooklyn this weekend. Living in NYC has been a dream for years, and now God is fulfilling that dream. But I struggle with comparison and materialism and I'm competitive. Could be a dangerous mix! Unlike Lot, I want to be "in the world, not of it".

Cici said...

Every time I read these chapters, I'm absolutely disgusted by the whole story: the mob of men demanding to have their way with Lot's guests; Lot offering his two virgins daughters to the mob when they threatened himself and his guests; the daughters getting Lot drunk to sleep with him.

God saved Lot because of Abraham. But I understand why God destroyed Sodom. There wasn't a righteous person in the place, including Lot and his family.

I like the Chan quote, Staci! It's true, I want things my way. I struggle with giving up the illusion of control. It's very uncomfortable to trust God with circumstances when I already know how I want things to turn out.

Father, I'm very thankful for your willingness to lead a head-strong woman like me. Forgive my arrogance for thinking I know best.

Cici said...

Ladies, I really appreciate each of your comments so far. You're definitely making me think. As we engage with each other via the comments, I find myself thinking about scripture for much of the day, which is always a good thing. Thanks for participating!

Sarah - YAY!!! NYC this weekend! We're praying for you and Mike.

Christina - I don't have any way to contact you other than in the comments! I'd love to learn a little more about you. When you have a moment, please email me at ciciscott(at)gmail(dot)com.

Shannon said...

DITTO! DITTO! DITTO! i am loving this study and everyone's comments.

Stacey (aka: House O Herring) said...

Living a "safe" life is something I've aimed for. I often wonder what I've missed out on, living in fear of "too risky" when God doesn't typically deal in the safe, predictable scenarios. How many times have I kept my hand down when it should've been raised high, "Lord! Here I am!" Instead I've lived by my own list of do's and don'ts. Don't do anything to rock the boat; stand out, but not too much so that people think I'm weird; be set apart, but not so much that others are concerned about my children; be transparent, yet aim for the socially-acceptable parts.
This study, including the comments posted by others, is completely rocking my thought life - in a good way! Thank you all who contribute and comment! God is definitely using it to change and mold my heart.

Tressa said...

Today's passages similarly impacted me. What stood out was that the Lord directed Lot to the mountains and he desired to go to the small city (as Staci said ... "the familiar) How often I do this. A foolish detour so to speak... Because not to long after getting to the city, Lot's wife turns to salt for her disobedience, Lot gets drunk, His daughters sin and become pregnant by their father...then finally they move to the mountains and live in a cave. What a detour! Reminds me of Jonah's trip to Ninevah. God's story will be fulfilled, God's plan will ultimately come around, why do I take so many "side-trips" and delay His blessing and His best for my life? However, what an awesome God of love and forgiveness to still bring me in line with His ultimate story.

Amanda McKinley said...

I'm challenged today by the way Lot was dragging his feet to leave such a sinful place, even though it was his hometown and was familiar and comfortable to him.

How often do I, perhaps, have a hard time abandoning habits or routines which are sinful and unhealthy for me, just because they are familiar and comfortable?

Lord, I pray that you would give me a desire for the things You desire and that I would seek to "be holy because You are holy."

Della Perry said...

I was struck by this a few chapters ago too: that Lot chose the plot of land right next to Sodom, knowing their wickedness and probably not planning on joining them. Yet, when we see him now he has fallen so in love with this detestable place that he must be dragged away from it kicking and screaming. How often do I want to see how close I can get to sin without it officially being a sin? (What's the official definition of drunk, God? How about gluttony? An idol?) Instead I should view sin for what it is... I should be disgusted with it as if it were a room full of poop! Not something to be desired. I read about Lot wondering how he could be so blind... but I'm just as blind. That is Sin's lie... that it will just be a little safe thing in moderation, and it won't take over my life. It won't steal my affections away from God, right? More lies. Lord, by Your grace alone, please keep my eyes and heart focused on you. I don't want anything to be more important or more appealing to me than You, the only One worthy of my full affections.

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Gen 21: 19,20 Hagar is abandoned to her desperate desert..."Just then God opened her eyes..." Oh, for eyes to see my God's provision for me & my family in the midst of my desert. And that next verse does something to me: "God was on the boy's side as he grew up" not delivered from the desert but led every day by a Good God. May we know way down deep that God is on our children's side, no matter what happens.

Christina said...

Wow! I can't believe the things I'm reading about Lot. I am disgusted too. But I think thats because I know how I feel when I am disgusted about my own sin. I've never read about this before and its no wonder why God was so angry at Sodom and Gomorrah! I literally was writing, "oh my!!!!" in the margins of my Bible.

Also I am encouraged by in Gen 20:11 how Abraham talks about how there is surely no fear of God in this place. And what it means to fear the Lord and to not fear the Lord. I've been encouraged to meditate more on how to grow as a woman who fears the Lord. :)

Thank you for helping me and giving me a community to read the Bible with :) It is so encouraging and I get excited to share what I've learned and what I see and learn about what all of you see! What a blessing!!

Also, Cici, I'll email you :) I know Sarah! :)