And Abram goes along with it! In the previous chapter, God had declared Abram "Set-Right-with-God" because Abram had believed God's promise to him. (15:6) So why now would Abram let his wife take matters into her own hands???
The notes in my Message Bible were helpful in understanding:
"[God's] promises increased, and a covenant had been made, but the fulfillment was subject to endless delays...the possibilities for fulfillment were becoming more remote with each passing day...Human logic saw no solution. But it did see a loophole." Conversations, p. 44The story of Abram, Sarai, and Hagar gives me hope. God is God-Alive-Sees-Me! (16:13) Gratefully, God didn't demand perfection from them in order to bless each of them. He saw everything they did wrong, and yet He reached out to them in all of their messiness. And in the very next chapter, He promises to make Abraham the father of many nations. Wow.
Because God's character never changes, I can have confidence that, like Hagar, God-Alive-Sees-Me! And out of His great love, He rescues me in the midst of the mess I continue to make. Although my default is to look for loopholes to avoid inconvenient delays, He gives me His best in spite of my imperfection. What an awesome God!
So what am I choosing to believe God for today? Is it something that defies my human logic? Rather than waiting on God's timing, am I looking for loopholes instead? Father, forgive my unbelief.
5 comments:
What struck me in chapter 18 was Abraham's boldness with God, questioning Him over the destruction of Sodom. He knew God intimately and even knew that he (Abraham) was taking his line of questioning quite far. But God doesn't strike him down; He answers Abraham's desperate questions. How I want that intimacy with the Lord that has an element of boldness - with reverence - understanding that my God is big enough for my questions!
Amen, sister Stacey! God is big enough and I'm with you in wanting boldness with Him -- which means I need greater intimacy with Him.
Cici, my answer to what am I choosing to believe God for today has to do with my girls. We are in the preteen and teen years which means that the end of their time at home is nearer than the early, dependent years. I live in the daily tension of questioning our parenting choices (schools, time with friends, family conversations, etc.). Even though the girls appear to love God today, there are no guarantees that they will choose to walk with God throughout their lives. I have to daily choose to wait on God's direction and not try to manipulate a perfect situation that will produce perfect kids so that I'll look good and so that my life will be easier.
i just love Sarah! i know there have been many times i have heard God very clearly give me direction and i laughed out loud! you know the song 'i can only imagine...'? i hope and pray when i see Jesus face to face i dont start giggling...:)
Anyway, i think there is a real sweetness to the conversation Abraham has with God about Sodom, he knows he is pushing the envelope but he also trusts his God fully. similar to the conversation we will read soon that moses has with God. i crave that intimate relationship with my Lord.
Oh! the strategizing to do the will of God in these chapters---don't fill in those blank spaces, Bev! You ask: Believing God-Alive-Who-Sees-Me for what? Open my eyes. My core terror is fear. Am I "ruled by fear or broken by failure?" Don't wait for God to change my circumstances but Phil 1:9 that I learn to not only love much but love well and God will cast out my fear of failure, my fear of not being loved. Little by Little. So what does that look like for this day?
"Gratefully, God didn't demand perfection from them in order to bless each of them. He saw everything they did wrong, and yet He reached out to them in all of their messiness. And in the very next chapter, He promises to make Abraham the father of many nations. Wow."
This gives me hope too!!! Everyday I realize how I try to look for loopholes to find ways for the "best" things to happen and work out, the best plans. But I forget that through all of this, I show off my imperfections and my little faith. As I come face to face for these of myself, I realize how huge and giving God's love is for me. I don't have to be perfect and He will still bless me.
Today I am choosing to believe that God will captivate and change my new believer friend's heart for Him. She's also faced with choices whether to follow hard after Him and put Him first or other things such as a job and other advantages. It's almost discouraging until I realize that God is in control, not me. Not my words- not me. Father, forgive my unbelief. I choose to believe in You Today! :)
Post a Comment