Followers

Monday, January 3, 2011

January 4 – Genesis 12-15 : Living in the Desert


“Leave your country...for a land that I will show you.
I’ll make you a great nation and bless you...make you famous...
those who curse you I’ll curse...”  (12:1)
Can you imagine your small group’s prayer time and when it’s your turn to share, throwing out a prayer request like this?  I want to be great, be blessed, be famous and just for good measure, I want those cursed who curse me!  We would be thought the most prideful, arrogant, selfish, vengeful people.   Yet, this is what God promised Abram.  And Abram hadn’t even done anything for God yet.  He hadn’t left his country, he hadn’t believed God, he hadn’t sacrificed or built any altars and still, God spoke this blessing over him. 
“Our badness is no longer the obstacle to blessing.  Nor is our goodness the condition for blessing… There’s never a moment in all our lives, from the day we trusted Christ till the day we see Him, when God is not longing to bless us.  At every moment, in every circumstance, God is doing us good.  He never stops.  It gives Him too much pleasure.  God is not waiting to bless us after our troubles end.  He is blessing us right now, in and through those troubles.  At this exact moment, He is giving us what He thinks is good.”  (Crabb, Shattered Dreams)
Really?   It’s not about not being too bad or doing enough good?  Apparently, it wasn’t in Abram’s life either, because he quickly obeyed and then quickly lied about Sarai being his wife to get out of a hard situation and God’s blessing stood firm.  Not that Abraham was experiencing what we could call “blessing” – from appearances, he got the short end of the stick in dividing up the land with Lot.  And then Lot was attacked by several kings and Abram was pulled into a battle to save Lot and his family.  Abram won the battle and then God came back with another promise of grand reward (15:1):
“You’re going to have a big family, Abram!
And he believed!  Believed God!  God declared him ‘Set-Right-with-God’.”
Romans 4:17-18 (Msg), puts it like this:
“We call Abraham ‘father’ not because he got God’s attention by living like a saint, but because God made something out of Abraham when he was a nobody…. When everything was hopeless, Abraham believed anyway, deciding to live not on the basis of what he saw he couldn’t do but on what God said he would do.”
There’s the tension for me.  It’s not based on what I see as a solution or how ‘blessed’ I feel in the situation or how much I am or am not “living like a saint.”  It is based solely on God and what He says is good and is a blessing, which often looks vastly different from my definition of blessing.  This leaves me with a gap, a desert, between my hope for God’s blessing and the reality of my circumstances. 
“People of faith live in the desert.  Like Abraham, they are aware of their circumstances but are fixed on hope.”  (Miller, A Praying Life)
What is your desert right now?

6 comments:

Cici said...

I always struggle whenever I read about Abram.

Sometimes he seems like such a bad guy - blatantly lying, giving away his wife (?!) to Pharaoh to protect himself, prospering from his lies - and other times I'm amazed by his faith - leaving his home on God's command, saving Lot, not accepting any plunder from the king of Sodom. It's so confusing. Is he a good guy, or is he a bad guy?

I realize that even my question shows that I want everything to be black and white, no gray, no ambiguity. But reality is that Abram is both good and bad. And a lot like me. There are plenty of times that I do the wrong thing - protect my image, lie, make fear-based decisions - and other times I trust God, like with our upcoming adoption.

It's kind of ironic that I struggle with Abram, yet I'm a lot like him, "an ordinary, God-dishonoring" person. 66 LL He failed, and I fail. Why is it that I see his failure more easily than I see my own??

To answer your question, Staci, my desert is relational. I have asked God to repair two relationships in my extended family for years, but most often, it just seems hopeless. I can't say I like the desert. I'm ready for the Promised Land!

Lisa said...

The desert for me right now would be my relationship with my five year old son. Hard to believe he is five. Luke is a challenge for me as he is so different and I'm really having trouble connecting with him. We are having lots of obedience/tantrum issues and I'm having huge patience and tantrum issues as a result. I sense the Holy Spirit impressing on me to love him. So simple but how does this work out daily living? I'm working through it. I sense God is with me and that is a comfort. I treasure this gift He has given me. Show me the way to parent Him Lord. Help me to abide in You.

Amanda McKinley said...

So for some reason, when I read these chapters this time around, I was really intrigued by the life of Sarai, trying to put myself in her shoes.

First, she finds out she's barren. In any culture and time period, but ESPECIALLY that culture and time, not being able to have children would be like not having a purpose in life...that's what women were CREATED to do. Was she bitter? Was she angry at God? I sure would have been!

Then, she gets this promise that Abraham will have an heir and it will come from his own body. Yippee! She WILL eventually get pregnant. But helloo...time is ticking. WHEN is this going to happen?!?! YEARS go by! How would she NOT be impatient and start to doubt God's promise?

THEN, Abram, completely out of fear for his own life, lies to Pharoah and just hands over his wife, like it's no big deal. Ummm...how would she NOT feel deeply betrayed after that move?

So if I were her, and I was now living in an amazing palace with the most powerful man in the country who was lavishing gifts and clothes and jewelry and all kinds of wonderful things on me(I think it'd be like living at Lake Austin Spa!). Well, in all honesty...I think I'd start to LIKE it (and if there was any guilt about feeling that way, I'd quickly rationalize it by reminding myself that my own husband abandoned me to save his own hide!).

But then the truth comes out. Abram is really her husband, not her brother. So she gets kicked out of the palace, sent back to live with her selfish husband, who says God has this plan that he will have descendants as numerous as the grains of the sand, but until then, they have to wander around, living in tents, eating desert cuisine (it must've been disgusting!) and waiting for her darn body to cooperate and finally conceive.

Ummm...I think I would be deeply missing that posh palace life and wondering why I married this crazy man and why in the world I should ever trust him again?

Perhaps that is building towards what happens later with Haggai and Ishmael.

So for me...these chapters were a reminder to me that my own husband WILL fail me at times, that I will feel abandoned, betrayed and disappointed (hopefully not because of something as drastic as being given away to someone else, although if he's going to pick someone, let it be the manager of Lake Austin Spa - ha!) and yet...in the midst of his sin, his weakness and failures, God is still leading him, still blessing him, still loving him...and therefore, I CAN trust him and follow him because I know that my God is faithful and will lead ME through my husband. I am called to be obedient, to trust, to love, to SUBMIT in marriage because God is ultimately the one in charge. And when I try to take control of things (like Sarai does later), what a mess I make and what dire consequences proceed from those actions!

I pray today that I would be praying for my husband, DAILY, to seek the Lord, and that I would have a submissive, loving, faithful attitude to follow his lead.

SydSal said...

I have reminders on a regular basis that I am far from perfect, but arrogantly expect my husband and others to be (perfect, that is)

Truth is I have the undeserved grace and love of God and my wonderful family. I like these readings to remind us that we need to humble ourselves, which leads me to my desert.

My desert is holding grudges. Ouch, to even say it. I am ashamed. When I decided to follow God's guidance I am in complete peace (and as the saying goes, when mama is happy, so is everyone else) :)

You know you are growing when you are being convicted and I am growing.

Liz O. said...

My desert in the recent past would be courage. Courage to confront a couple of bad siutations in truth and with love and pure motive. To have the courage to do the right thing at all times and know God will provide the courage and then rest in knowing that He will also help repair any fall out if I took action with love and pure motives.

The fear of failure is sometimes the thing that hinders my courage. However, if I don't fail, I won't ever have the God given experience and wisdom to mentor my children or advivse them when they are grown women and struggle.

Lord, I pray for courage for myslef and my sisters in You to live for you boldly and with courage in all things at all times without the fear of failure.

Christina said...

I am so encouraged by this blog! I've decided to read through the Bible for the first time beginning to end and I think this will help me learn a lot about what I read as well as have encouraging community!

Thank you! :)

I'm serving the Lord overseas and appreciate the extra community!! But I'll probably be a few days behind because my reading schedule is different, reading the old and new testament each day!

But i love this.. "really? its not about not being too bad or doing good enough?" today I felt like a failure because I missed an important appointment. I felt so out of control and wished I could re-do my day. When I went before the Lord all I could hear was I love you no matter what. But I couldn't feel it, I couldnt accept it. It was strange. But I know the Lord's love is bigger than we can even imagine. I just wonder how I can believe THIS TRUTH more easily, that it is not whether we are good enough or bad enough- when its a bad day. The Lord is good and I am so thankful for His love.