What a way to start the new year – dealing with our jealousy, just as Cain was brought face-to-face with the truth of his self-focused heart (Gen. 4). Cain had no specific command on what kind of offering to bring to God, so he didn’t technically disobey God. But, he did what came naturally to him (and to us): give God something that doesn’t really require sacrifice. God responded with questions, discipline and training (as any good parent would) and Cain’s response was jealousy to the extreme: killing his brother who he perceived as better than himself. Just get rid of the competition and then feel better about yourself. (Hmmm…what subtle and acceptable ways do I do this?)
In my household of three daughters and their teen and preteen friends, we often experience jealousy, superiority, vying for attention and mild character assault as part of sinful relationships. Everyone wanting the approval and acceptance that God freely offers, but that we demand from others who seem so important to our very existence at the moment.
In Respectable Sins, Jerry Bridges states, “…sinful jealousy occurs…when we are afraid something is going to become equal to or even superior to us.” Jealousy happens when my heart is wrapped around performance and results. At this point in my life (40ish), there are many things I know I’m not good at and are no longer part of my identity. Therefore, I don’t necessarily struggle with jealousy when others are praised for their sense of fashion or being long-distance runners or having successful careers. And other people’s stuff isn’t necessarily a trigger for me, either. However, I do feel the twinges of jealousy in the areas of my identity: my parenting, my ability to cook and decorate, my “wisdom” in Christian living. (Notice the “my” preceding each of these areas!)
“…To be envious or jealous of someone is either eliminating God[‘s sovereignty] from the picture or else accusing Him of being unfair.” (Bridges) Yikes! That’s the real story of my heart. I’m only focusing on my little story and how I can manage life to make it turn out well, at least in appearance. When God interrupts that, I mentally manipulate the situation so that I can cope with my disappointment of God not giving me my fair share instead of entering into my true identity: I deserve nothing, earned nothing (except death), and have received everything in the person of Jesus Christ. If I can focus my heart on that overwhelming truth, what in the world would anyone else have that I could want? And would my heart be free to love more like Christ loves me...
8 comments:
Thanks Staci and Cici for this ministry. I know how busy you both are and how much time this must require. I pray that I will be committed to this and that all the activities that are jealous for my time and attention will just not seem so important to me this year. I'm not talking about my husband or children - it's all that business that absorbs my energy. All that stuff that in the end does not matter a whit but that which I can never seem to ignore (a sink of dirty dishes, baskets of laundry to fold and put away). Peace to you all in the new year.
Cain does what he wants in terms of giving to God and then has a temper tantrum and sulks when God doesn't approve of his gift. When God questions him, Cain gives a sarcastic answer and lies. When the consequences of his choices aren't to his liking, Cain complains to God of unfairness and harshness. That sounds a lot like me...
My Bible had a note here that I thought was interesting: "Sin, which had begun with what looked like a fairly innocuous eating of an apple, in a short time expressed itself in murder. If we treat God with contempt, it won't be long before we will be treating our brother or sister with contempt as well."
Enoch stood out in the genealogy list in chapter 5. All of the others lived to be eight or nine hundred years old. 5:24 says that Enoch walked steadily with God. And then one day he was simply gone: God took him. That sounds a lot better than the dying process!
One more thing.
I've gotten a number of questions about why we're using the Message Bible. It's a very fair question, as some of you may not be used to or familiar with this translation.
One of the main reasons is because it's highly readable. It reads like a novel, which makes it enjoyable. I have found that the most difficult texts make more sense to me in this translation. And it's been interesting to read the more familiar texts in a different vernacular. It's made them fresh again for me.
With that said, I also want to assure you that this is a respected translation of the Bible. It's not a word-for-word translation; it's more of a paraphrase like The Living Bible or the New Living Translation.
According to the publisher (NavPress), "The Message is a contemporary rendering of the Bible from the original languages, crafted to present its tone, rhythm, events, and ideas in everyday language."
In the author notes, it says it took Eugene Peterson ten years to complete this translation. "He worked not from any English text but from the original Hebrew and Greek texts to guarantee authenticity. At the same time, his ear was always tuned to the cadence and energy of the English spoken every day on the streets."
Finally, "Peterson's work has been thoroughly checked, questioned, and improved by the efforts of the following scholars." And then it lists an Old Testament Team of 15 professors and a New Testament Team of five professors.
I hope this answers any questions you may have about the Message. I assure you that you are reading God's Word! :-)
(Staci - please feel free to add anything that I may have forgotten.)
One more comment about jealousy...I've been reading "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan and in it he quotes Oswald Chambers, "Never make a principle out of your experience; let God be as original with other people as He is with you." Chan adds, "Be careful not to turn others' lives into the mold for your own. Allow God to be as creative with you as He is with each of us." I'm embarrassed to say that as I've been reading Christmas cards this year I was finding myself being jealous of experiences and lifestyles that my friends were writing about. (which I think is completely ridiculous) As I try to guide myself and my family in the "right" direction with spiritual, emotional, and physical daily living I often second guess myself, don't take the time to listen to what God is telling me and then try to "be like" or "act like" other families that I think are doing a "good job". Pleasing God and obeying God is where my focus needs to be...Yep, I'm a big work in progress...and thankful for God's mercy and patience.
My list of questions for God is growing. Here's a sampling:
1. What's with polygamy? The first mention is in Genesis 4 and it is neither affirmed nor condemned.
2. What does it mean that God shortened our lifespan (Gen. 6)?
Another thought... In Genesis 6 God says the earth has become like a sewer. Well, how much farther do we have to go in our culture before we reach the limit of endurance for God's patience and experience His wrath? Makes me so thankful for mercy.
Genesis 4:6 - "Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast?" God asks good questions. I go straight to telling my kids, my friends what I think rather than ask questions. You know, I've never seen my face before. Wonder what it really says to the world? What story am I telling?
Two men stood out to me in these chapters: Enoch and Noah.
As Cici mentioned, I was impressed by the phrase in ch. 5: "Enoch walked steadily with God. And then one day he was simply gone: God took him."
I would LOVE to be someone that "walks steadily with God." Not just in the good times, not just when I feel like it, not just when I have time to really ponder the grace and mercy of our Lord, but STEADILY, no matter what my circumstances. And then goodness, who wouldn't want to just be "taken" by God and not have to go through the whole dying process. Take me, Lord, please take me! :)
Second, I was inspired by Noah. In ch. 6, God says, "I'll get rid of my ruined creation, make a clean sweep: people, animals, snakes and bugs, birds - the works. I'm sorry I made them." Then it goes on: But Noah was different. God liked what he saw in Noah. Noah was a good man, a man of integrity in his community...and later it says, "Noah did everything God commanded him to do."
I SO want to be a woman who is DIFFERENT, who is full of INTEGRITY, who is OBEDIENT. I'm not saying I expect to be perfect, but gosh...we've got some awesome role models of faith to look up to and pray that we can emulate, don't we????
In the margin of my Bible are notes from a previous sermon I heard on this passage. I cannot go by without sharing these thoughts.
* God sought Cain and offered a way back to Him (God) vs. 6-7..the Lord said to Cain... vs 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted.
* God gave Cain an opportunity to confess vs 9 - the Lord said to Cain "Where is your Brother".
God knew where Abel was, but he still asked Cain giving him the opportunity to confess ....much like with Adam & Eve...God knew where they were after their sin and why they were hiding, but He (God) still called out to them and gave them opportunity to confess.
Am I listening for God? Do I hear His Holy Spirit's prompting and questions that will lead me to confess, or do I simply ignore the opportunity to call my sin what it is "SIN", or perhaps I start the laundry list of excuses and/or finger pointing?
May I instead be like Abel, Enoch and Noah, walking with God, listening to God, communing with God, Worshipping my Creator and Lord. In reading His Word (Love Letters) and walking with Him, I will recognize His voice and recognize my sin(s) and will more readily be alert to confess.
Praise God we are saved by His Grace and His Righteousness!
Post a Comment