Followers

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May 4 - 1 Chronicles 9-11: Rebuild the Temple, Not My Life

In 538 BC, in his first year as king of Persia, Cyrus issued a decree to rebuild the Temple of God. (Ezra 5:13) And the first Jews to return from exile were priests, Levites, and support staff needed for the Temple. Along with them came families from the tribes of Judah, Benjamin, Ephraim, and Manasseh. (9:2-3)

But Jerusalem was in ruins. It had been burned to the ground by the Babylonians. (2 Kings 25:8-12) I can't even imagine what these exiles saw and how they felt at the sight of the wasteland Israel had become. Yet their mandate was to rebuild the temple.
"But they had no king, no homes and limited resources. They were strongly tempted to organize themselves with the wrong priority in mind, to rebuild their lives. I told them to first rebuild the temple. I understand - and you do as well - how emptiness and hardships can lead people to redefine worship as living right in the hope that life will go right. But I want My people to live right now for the joy of knowing Me and in anticipation of what I yet will do." 66 LL
Oh, how this message speaks to me! It is a constant struggle for me to not focus on living right so that my life will go right. I have to remind myself over and over and over again that the purpose of this life is not a happy marriage, beautiful and successful children, an immaculate home, a fulfilling and profitable career, a great body, peace of mind, financial security, interesting and well-positioned friends, or fun vacations. The culture bombards me with these messages, and I can get sucked into the subtle and not-so-subtle lies very easily.

Although it feels like I'm the main character in this story, I'm not. God is. And He wants me to rebuild the temple first. So what does that mean for me today?
You realize, don't you, that you are the temple of God, and God himself is present in you? No one will get by with vandalizing God's temple, you can be sure of that. God's temple is sacred - and you, remember, are the temple.  1 Corinthians 3:16
"I'm the temple! You want me to become a worshiping person at any cost, to live as You direct, in my relationships and business decisions, whether it seems effective or not in making my life more fulfilling or prosperous." 66 LL
Yikes! That is so counter-cultural. I mean, I like efficiency. I really like effectiveness. I want to be prosperous in life. And I really, really want to be fulfilled. Is that so wrong?
"You must hear me every single day. This message is easily forgotten. When you feel empty tomorrow, when life's troubles and disappointments continue, you will again be tempted to devote more energy to making your life better than to drawing closer to Me. It is not easy to practice the priority of rebuilding the temple over rebuilding your life. And it's difficult even to know when you're violating it." 66 LL
What I'm realizing on this journey with the Lord is that it's not inherently wrong that I like efficiency or effectiveness - or whatever. But it is wrong when I place a higher value and priority on those things than on what God says is first priority. He tells the Jews to first rebuild the temple and then He will rebuild their lives. The same is true for me. He wants me to live first for the joy of knowing Him.
But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.  Matthew 6:33 
"When you find yourself in the desert, draw near to me, not with an entitled spirit but in confident hope. You will discover that hope only in My Presence. Therefore, devote your first energies to rebuilding the temple, not your lives." 66 LL
Lord, I pray for Your perspective on my life. Give me an increasing desire to draw near to You. Allow me to experience confident hope in Your Presence. May I not grow weary or be unaware of the impact the culture has on me. Give me the discernment to know when I'm worshiping the idols of success or achievement and how I try to sinfully rebuild my life instead of Your temple. Remind me daily that I am Your temple!

No comments: