When I examine my heart, I realize I feel a little like that towards David. God calls him "a man after my own heart" (Acts 13:22). In my self-absorption I want to make it about all the advantages David had - young, good-looking, strong, musician, men to fight for him, a palace. I find myself thinking , "you know, if I had all that, I'm sure I'd be a woman after God's heart". I know it's not true, but it does beg the question, what was it that God saw in David's heart in spite of all his sin?
Reading the 1 Chronicles account of David's movement of the Chest of God is giving me some insight. In chapter 13, David really does have a good idea; he seeks counsel; makes a nod towards God ("if it is God's will"); and "everybody agreed that it was the right thing to do." (13:4) But apparently there was something missing from the collective, human wisdom of David and his leaders.
Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the hearts. Proverbs 21:2We know the next part - the ox stumbles, Uzzah tries to keep the chest from falling and God strikes him down. Then, David loses his temper and throws a tantrum and calls the whole thing off. So again I have to ask myself, why was David called "a man after God's heart"? I think I found a hint as I was reading this story in the Chronological Bible. It places Psalm 101 right after this story, "during the period of time when the ark was in the home of Obed-Edom." This is what was on David's heart after this public humiliation, the obvious display of God's displeasure in David's actions, and the killing of Uzzah:
I will sing of your love and justice;David's heart? Praising God for His love and justice. Acknowledging his need for God to live a blameless life. Confessing that he must not seek the approval of those who deceive or do evil. Confessing his need to have the faithful and blameless ministering to him.
to you, LORD, I will sing praise.
I will be careful to lead a blameless life—
when will you come to me?
I will conduct the affairs of my house
with a blameless heart.
I will not look with approval
on anything that is vile.
I hate what faithless people do;
I will have no part in it.
The perverse of heart shall be far from me;
I will have nothing to do with what is evil.
Whoever slanders their neighbor in secret,
I will put to silence;
whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart,
I will not tolerate.
My eyes will be on the faithful in the land,
that they may dwell with me;
the one whose walk is blameless
will minister to me.
No one who practices deceit
will dwell in my house;
no one who speaks falsely
will stand in my presence.
Every morning I will put to silence
all the wicked in the land;
I will cut off every evildoer
from the city of the LORD.
Not exactly where my heart would have gone. In moments of embarrassment or shame or anger, I want to hide or blame or escape. In spite of it all, David chose to turn to God and therein lies the difference.
Father, it's my desire to have a heart running after You. Thank You for the imperfect example of David's actions and most importantly, the real example of his heart.
1 comment:
:) thanks for this post! i'm excited to get read about David again and look for hope in these stories. I've found myself just trying to LEARN more to follow God well and DO more to follow Him. I've been thinking, this is the way to be a woman after His heart. But there's been no peace, no inquiring like David continues to do over and over again, there's been no "after His heart". I find myself trying to please God more and more on my own. And then I fail and feel defeated.
God has made me more than a conqueror through Jesus Christ. And given us freedom through His truth. Through His UNBELIEVABLE wrath taken out already and paid for. And now- we get His LOVE, His Mercy, His GRACE, His HOLINESS, His faithfulness, so much of just HIM. I surrendered today in prayer- so many things and just cried out to inquire of God- to just walk with Him and follow His heart. Because He loves me so much- there's no more need for embarrassment, shame, anger, any of this... because He has freed us with His truth! His love! Oh, what a reminder this is to my desire to be after His heart. I have to be careful not to say to be a woman after His heart for myself, because then I begin to strive again- when really I just want to sit in His love and walk in His grace and spirit. After His heart.
I loved reading about the mighty warriors who are in God's army- because that's who WE are. Mighty warriors set out to battle everyday- and i need to keep inquiring of God and following His lead- as He commands me, like David. And cry out for Him like psalm 101. mMm, what a great great Holy way bigger than us God we serve! have fun tonight :)
Post a Comment