As I've been thinking about the conflicts and conversations this week, I've been reading through this chapter. It certainly puts life in perspective. I've been complaining about the pain and stress related to our soon-to-be failed adoption and to the slights and perceived insults by those close to me, but that's embarrassingly trivial compared to what the Lord experienced, especially during this last week of His life.
"Because of this breaking and this pouring, it's impossible to understand our participation in salvation as a life of untroubled serenity, a life apart from suffering, a life protected from disruption, a charmed life, a life exempt from pain and humiliation and rejection. The sacrifice of Christ that's symbolized in the breaking of bread and the pouring out of wine banishes even a hint that salvation might be a program of self-help. We discover this first in Jesus when his body is broken and his blood is poured out. And then we discover it in ourselves." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 1627Yes, I'm discovering in a new way that this life is hard. Following Christ wholeheartedly brings suffering and sacrifice. I cringe when I think of the many times I flippantly thought like Peter, "Master, I'm ready for anything with you." (22:33) Most often now, I want to run and hide from the pain.
But Jesus' words to His disciples are particularly relevant for me as well:
Simon, stay on your toes. Satan has tried his best to separate all of you from me...Simon, I've prayed for you in particular that you not give in or give out. (22:31-32)
Pray that you don't give in to temptation. (22:40)
Pray so you won't give in to temptation. (22:46)
"Read this letter to access your desire to be like My Son...Meditate on all that I say until that desire is stronger than all others...[Y]ou will see that perfect maturity feels deeply and loves generously even when life is hard. That's what it means to become like My Son. Still interested?" 66LLYes, Lord. I'm still interested. Thank You that You continue to draw me to Yourself in the midst of the pain. And I love the timing of this reading. It's no mere coincidence that it's Passover Week now, as we're diving into the last days of Your life. I pray that I will see You clearly in the Scriptures. Help me to fully access my desire to be like You, Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment