Followers

Thursday, April 26, 2012

April 26 - John 16: Be of Good Cheer

Last weekend, Harry and I enjoyed a mini-vacation in Cabo San Lucas. It was beautiful and relaxing, and I'm so glad we got the time away. With that said, it takes WORK to leave for four days. My mother-in-law came up to watch the girls, and I felt the burden of preparing the kids and the house (instructions, lists, groceries, meal plans, etc.) as well as getting myself packed and ready to leave. I was pretty tired on the way out the door.

Even in my human imperfection, it gave me a little perspective what Jesus was doing in these chapter. There was much His disciples needed to know and a lot they didn't yet grasp. But what Jesus told them about the promised Holy Spirit only stirred up a hornet's nest of questions among the disciples. (16:17)

But out of His love for them and His laser focus on God's purpose, He continued to tell the disciples what they needed to hear. At the very end of the chapter, just before He prayed for them, Jesus made a statement that stood out to me.
In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. (16:33 NIV)
I appreciate that Jesus spoke of reality. Life was hard, and His followers would continue to experience difficulties. But I'm especially thankful that Jesus gave a change of perspective. In spite of circumstances, He told them to take heart because the ultimate victory is His. God wins.

Even though I intellectually understand that truth, I continue to be struggle "to be of good cheer." I'm weary. I'm tired of the relational conflict, the ongoing sin patterns in my life, and my utter failure at loving others well. What am I missing?
"The typical view of the Christian life is that it means being delivered from all adversity. But it actually means being delivered in adversity, which is something very different...God does not give us overcoming life - He gives us life as we overcome. The strain of life is what builds our strength. If there is no strain, there will be no strength. Are you asking God to give you life, liberty, and joy? He cannot, unless you are willing to accept the strain. And once you face the strain, you will immediately get the strength...If you completely give of yourself physically, you become exhausted. But when you give of yourself spiritually, you get more strength. God never gives us strength for tomorrow, or for the next hour, but only for the strain of the moment. Our temptation is to face adversities from the standpoint of our own common sense. But a saint can "be of good cheer" even when seemingly defeated by adversities, because victory is absurdly impossible to everyone, except God." Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest
Thank You, Lord, that I can bring all of my struggles to You, knowing that You have a purpose in everything that I experience. By faith, I thank You for the current strain of life, especially the self-inflicted stuff. I praise You that I can rest in the fact that You have already won the war. Your victory is certain and secure, which means that as Your daughter, I am secure as well. I pray that You'll keep my eyes on You alone, and not on the wearisome strain of life. Lord, help me to "be of good cheer," regardless of my circumstances.

No comments: