Followers

Friday, April 27, 2012

April 27 - John 17: A Prayer for Real Life

I don't think there's much that should be added to John 17.  Such big and beautiful and difficult truths in this chapter that can be prayed over and over for Christ-followers around the world, for our churches, for our small groups, families, and ourselves.

I am convicted by verses 21-23, that we as followers of Christ should be of one heart and mind, mature in oneness.  We're not there.  I'm not even close.  This maturity is in process and it is only possible because of Christ's love for me, in me, and through me.
And this is the real and eternal life:
That they know you, the one and only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you sent.  (17:3-4)
"...My Son confronted and contradicted every lesser understanding of what it means to really live, every understanding that centrally defines life as less suffering and more happiness.  Real life, the life that My Son and Our Spirit have always and will always forever enjoy is the joy of loving.  We give to each other.  You bear Our image.  Your deepest desire is to love as We love.  Your deepest need is to be loved.  I love you.  Your need is met.  You are now free to do what you most want to do, what I created you to do, to live life to the full, to love, to love Me and others as My Son did during His time on earth and still does."  (66LL)
When I read John 17, I am frustrated by how far I am and the church is from the life Jesus is calling us to in this prayer.  I need to pray through this chapter again, seeking to know the one and only true God.

No comments: