Since "homemaking" has been my primary profession for 15 years now, I've become fairly efficient and proficient at what I do and even enjoy most of it. As with anyone's profession, homemaking has become part of my identity and my home is an extension of myself. What naturally follows placing my identity in my home, is wanting the fruits of my labor to be noticed and appreciated. I like for people to compliment my decor, my cooking, and the ease of being in our home. It feeds my desire for approval.
When I ask others to make themselves at home, I do want them to feel relaxed and loved, but I'm also secretly hoping for some validation of my identity. This is not Biblical love, this is consumeristic love. I will give you something (a welcome into my home) if you will give me something back (approval and compliments). This is not what Jesus is inviting us to in His love. He's inviting us to complete approval, to share everything that He has, to unselfconscious intimacy. Thus, Jesus' words here are particularly meaningful and convicting to me,
Make yourselves at home in my love. If you keep my commands, you'll remain intimately at home in my love. That's what I've done - kept my Father's commands and made myself at home in his love. (John 15:9-10)
"But when the Bible speaks of love, it measures it primarily not by how much you want to receive but by how much you are willing to give of yourself to someone. How much are you willing to lose for the sake of this person? How much of your freedom are you willing to forsake? How much of your precious time, emotion, and resources are you willing to invest in this person?" (Tim Keller, The Meaning of Marriage)This is what Jesus is inviting us into: make yourself at home in Me not because you give me something I need, not because I'm hoping to gain something from you, but because I lost all for your sake, I gave everything for you. Now, go and do likewise.
I've told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature. This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. this is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends. (John 15:11-14)
1 comment:
I still get hung up on 2 parts of this chapter: that the world should hate me and that anything I ask in Jesus' will, will be given. Neither of these seem true in my life, and I find myself asking "Why?" Am I really of this world and therefore loved by it instead of hated? Whom do I aim to please more? I like to think it's Jesus, but then why am I not hated by unbelievers? And how do I show them the love of Christ daily and then expect to be hated? And why hasn't he saved all of my friends and family whose salvation I constantly beg for? My small little brain can't understand His ways, but I know He is good and perfect. And I know I can trust Him.
Lord, forgive my impatience. Thank you for revealing yourself to me more and more, in a slow enough way that I can actually comprehend. Help me to only seek the approval of you, and to trust in your perfect timing. I love you, Lord!
Post a Comment