Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (14:5-6 NIV)While I know this familiar verse by heart, it occurred to me that I usually focus on Jesus being the truth or Jesus being the life. That's been easier for me to grasp. The Way? Not so much.
But studying the book of Revelation this year has given me a new view. After months of working through the details of John's vision of the tribulation, Christ's second coming, the millennial kingdom, and finally the new heaven and new earth, I have a better perspective on Jesus being the Way.
Speaking of the New Jerusalem, the angel tells John:
"Nothing dirty or defiled will get into the City, and no one who defiles or deceives. Only those whose names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life will get in." (Rev. 21:27)It reminds me that behavior isn't what it's about. Or tithing. Or sacrificing. Or anything else I can do for Jesus. It's about having my name written in the Lamb's Book of Life, and that happens only by authentically loving and following Jesus with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength. He told His disciples that He is the only Way to eternal life, and the book of Revelation confirms that truth.
If you love me, show it by doing what I've told you. (14:15)
The person who knows my commandments and keeps them, that's who loves me. And the person who loves me will be loved by my Father (14:21)
Not loving me means not keeping my words. (14:24)In these verses, Jesus makes it plain what it means to follow Him as the way. He repeats it over and over so I won't miss it. It's about doing as He does and obeying His commands, not doing whatever I think is right or is most expedient or is the "best for me." By bringing these three metaphors together, Jesus makes His point clearly.
"The Jesus way wedded to the Jesus truth brings about the Jesus life. We can't proclaim the Jesus truth but then do it in any old way we like. Nor can we follow the Jesus way without speaking the Jesus truth...The way comes first. We cannot skip the way of Jesus in our hurry to get to the truth of Jesus as he is worshiped and proclaimed. The way of Jesus is how we come to understand the truth of Jesus, by living Jesus in our homes and workplaces, with our friends and our families." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 1665The Way + The Truth = The Life? It looks like it really is that simple. Not easy, but definitely simple.
2 comments:
Such penetrating truth - He is the Road, He must come first. Thank you for that insight, Cici.
Jesus words to Peter(after Jesus told him that he would deny Him) at the beginning of the chapter also captured my attention -"don't let this throw you." You're going to deny me three times but don't get distracted, keep trusting God and Me.
I often feel "thrown" throughout the day and love these words to stay on the Road. He loves me in spite of my distractability and my sin.
Cici I love this! Thank you for your words today. Love these reminders. Love you friend!
Post a Comment