Followers

Thursday, March 8, 2012

March 8 - Luke 5: An Attractive Veneer

"You said you want to be more like My Son.  You seem to most want more energy, an upbeat attitude, a fulfilling sense of personal significance, to be someone who seizes all the good opportunities for felt happiness and welcomed impact that life offers.  Does that describe My Son when He lived on earth?  In your heart, at least in the part you've so far accessed, you rarely find a desire stronger than your wish to be satisfied with life's blessings, to feel both confident in My goodness that they'll continue and excited about life's opportunities.  Your desire for spiritual formation lies on top of those self-focused desires like an attractive veneer.  It needs to lie beneath as the controlling foundation of your life."  (66LL)
It requires thought, energy and purpose to maintain an attractive veneer.  Especially an attractive Christian veneer.  Depending on the group you're with, it can be more attractive to be emotional or to be dignified;  to be ultra-conservative in your beliefs or to be more open-minded;  to live more sheltered from worldly influences or to live more in the world. 

The list goes on and on and it can sometimes be difficult to navigate what's considered "spiritual formation" by others.  Some define it as serving the social outliers;  some define it as adherence to spiritual disciplines;  others see it as a well-formed theology;  still others say it's primarily about your prayer life or emotionally-healthy relationships.   And those are only the tip of the iceberg of the constructs or images that we have of what a growing Christian should look like.

Luke 5 turns this around, redefines our ideas, and calls out my "veneer management":
  • A tired and smelly Simon doesn't enforce his emotional and physical boundaries when Jesus asks him to go back out and let down his nets.  Instead he says, "Master, we've been fishing hard all night and haven't caught even a minnow.  But if you say so, I'll let out the nets." (5:5-7)
  • When the haul of fish overwhelmed the nets and two boats, Simon Peter's response wasn't to hold a large, nicely catered celebration with a polished presentation to honor God and his fellow workers.  Instead, he said, "Master, leave.  I'm a sinner and can't handle this holiness."  (5:8)
  • On the heels of this great display of His power, Jesus didn't seek out the rich and powerful to capitalize on his success and get support for future endeavors.  He went to a leper, who didn't claim a right to healing or to relief, but "when he saw Jesus he fell down before him in prayer and said, 'If you want to, you can cleanse me.'"  (5:12)
  • Then, some men with a paraplegic friend - in a crazy, stupid act - damaged someone else's property to get their friend to Jesus.  And Jesus went against the expectation of these men and the religious establishment and didn't immediately heal the man, but said, "Friend, I forgive your sins."  (5:20)
  • After ruffling the feathers of the spiritual leaders, Jesus went to a despised tax-collector and asked him to come along and live life with Him.  Levi (Matthew) was completely irresponsible and walked away from his job, position, livelihood and security and went with Jesus.  (5:27-28)
  • From there, Jesus went to hang out with friends of Levi's, more reprobates, and didn't hold a Bible study, but enjoyed a party with them.  (5:29-32)
Jesus doesn't appear to be too concerned with His image.  The people in His presence also didn't seem to care about what others thought or about their own happiness.  Jesus' daily life wasn't lived as a spiritual veneer on top of selfish desires for peace, satisfaction, and recognition.   And I can't read these stories as prescriptive for how I should live today.  But, I must examine the veneer of spiritual formation that I am trying to maintain and get down to the foundation of who I am really loving and seeking to please - myself or my Jesus?

2 comments:

Amanda McKinley said...

Challenging thoughts, Staci. This lies at the crux of what God is teaching me right now...the selfishness nature of my motives.

I have been convicted in my relationship with my husband and the Lord: WHY do I want to see growth in my husband's life? So MY life is better. So I can serve more, enjoy more, and ultimately, have a life that meets MY expectations.

Why do I want to grow with the Lord? So God will show me my sin and my junk, but then ultimately, I'll become a "better" person and start winning all kinds of people to Christ. So often I pray SO THAT God will do something - for me or for someone else.

I am convicted that if I truly LOVE these two people in my life - God and my husband - that I will enjoy just BEING with them, KNOWING them better, LOVING them well and CHERISHING them by making them a priority in my life...instead of loving them for what I can get from them or how they can meet my expectations.

Yuck. God is really challenging me at the depths of my heart. I relate to what Simon said "Master, leave. I'm a sinner and can't handle this holiness. Leave me to myself."

But praise God that He doesn't leave us to ourselves...

Christina said...

I'm struggling today to appreciate the gospel.
I don't get it.

When I'm doing well, i'm really enjoying God and His grace and His love and being with Him. It's such a joy. But when I'm having a bad day or just feel like I stink at life and my selfishness, my impure motives, my laziness, my weaknesses pour out in the open, I just feel like a failure. And I can't even bare to think His grace is enough for me, sufficient for me today. Why am I not getting it?

Reading "Living the cross centered life too" right now by CJ Mahaney. And the only thing I can think of is to just go back to the cross and admire it. And what Jesus has done for me. and cry out in prayer to believe. To believe He is changing me inside for Him, to believe He is cleaning my heart and renewing a steadfast spirit within me, to ask Him for faith to accept His grace, love, mercy and forgiveness. And asking God to help me to see this life is just not about me and how i'm doing everyday. It's about Him. But today, I just can't seem to get over myself. It's ugly.

Lord, create in me a clean O God. Change my heart each day to be more like Your Son's. Give me a desire to live for You and not for myself. Help me to care about Your holiness and want to be Holy too to bring You glory. Help me to get over myself, I am a sinful woman and beg you, if You will, to make me clean. Help me to leave everything and follow You. Help my unbelief so I know that today I am forgiven of all my sins and let this bring glory to You just as you healed those who have faith in You in Your Word. I'm sick and I come back to You in repentance. The old does not match the new, so please help me to believe today that I am made new, completely new.