Followers

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

March 7 - Luke 4: Playing on My Hunger

I worked for a very quirky boss for a number of years early in my career. We were good friends, but he had some strange ideas and hang-ups. I learned to laugh about - and ignore - most of them, thankfully. It was easier that way.

I remember him giving me well-meaning advice about men. He knew that I was focused on work and didn't make much time for dating, which concerned him. He was convinced that I'd never find a mate if I wasn't actively and diligently searching for one.

What I specifically recall him saying to me was that I needed to be very careful because "if you let yourself get too hungry, you'll eat anything." Meaning, don't have such a long, dry spell on dating, Cici, or you'll settle for anyone. I just laughed and thanked him for his concern.

That funny memory popped into my mind as I was reading the chapter today. I don't agree with my boss' worldly advice, particularly since Jesus' example stands in direct opposition to it:
Now Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wild. For forty wilderness days and nights he was tested by the Devil. He ate nothing during those days, and when the time was up he was hungry. 
The Devil, playing on his hunger, gave the first test... (4:1-3)
Hunger isn't the problem. The Devil is. And when Jesus was weakened physically, the enemy played on His hunger. He used it to tempt Jesus and to try to deceive Him in His weakened state. That's when we see an aspect of our Savior's perfection. While tempted in every way, he did not sin. He battled the enemy with the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (Ephesians 6:17)

It has me thinking about where I'm feeling hungry or needy these days, where Satan has the opportunity to tempt me and trip me up. Clearly, one of his ploys is to play on my hunger.

I'm feeling emotionally drained by all of the drama with the adoption, and I certainly have a shorter fuse lately. I'm easily annoyed and feel especially burdened by others' demands on my time and energy. Rather than handling it with grace and through the lens of God's Word, I have lashed out, sulked, and retreated. Not exactly a stellar victory.

But I keep reminding myself that I may not have what I think I need to battle the temptations, but I do have God's Spirit within me. Through His divine power I have everything I need for life and godliness. (2 Peter 1:3) I know this is a time of testing for me, and like Jesus, I want to return powerful in the Spirit. (4:14) I want to be wise, relying on God and His Word, in the midst of draining circumstances and to stay alert, knowing that the battle is very real.

Are you feeling hungry these days, either spiritually or emotionally? How is the enemy playing on your hunger?

No comments: