Followers

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

January 31 - Matthew 22: Speechless and Stumped

Time was growing short for Jesus, as the opposition in Jerusalem increased. His stories became more pointed, and the Pharisees understood that many of His stories were aimed at them. Their pride couldn't take being publicly humiliated by this man, and in retaliation, they looked for ways to trip Him up.
That's when the Pharisees plotted a way to trap him into saying something damaging. (22:15) 
When the Pharisees heard how he had bested the Saddu-cees, they gathered their forces for an assault. (22:34)
It's interesting that Jesus didn't stoop to their level, trapping and assaulting His enemies; the Lord merely spoke the truth which convicted them. But Jesus knew what they were doing and left them speechless and stumped with His responses to their loaded questions. (22:22, 46)

In a lot of ways, I'm more like the Pharisees than I ever dreamed. I don't like my sin being revealed by Jesus' stories either. It annoys me and hurts my pride. And in my own way, when I feel convicted of sin, I try to trip up Jesus by offering excuses and justification, as if that will make it okay, as if Jesus doesn't know every motive in my heart.
"I'm being snippy with my husband? Really? Well, Jesus, didn't you hear what he just said to me??" 
"I'm being impatient with my children?? Yeah, I have a lot to get done today and they're slowing me down. Why can't I just get some space to myself???" 
"You think I have a bad attitude today??? Don't you realize how much stress I'm feeling?"
And as with the Pharisees, Jesus often leaves me speechless and stumped as well, but not in the way I expect.

Amazingly, I don't receive the lecture I deserve, or a disapproving look, or the cold shoulder. In these situations, I find that if I will only let down my guard, if I will quit being defensive, Jesus always draws near to me.

As I let go of my pride and my "rights," the Lord lovingly acknowledges how I'm feeling, gently encourages me with His truth, and always moves me toward repentance. I expect condemnation yet I receive grace and mercy. Unbelievable.

I think that what Jesus said to the Sadducees is true for me as well:
Jesus answered, "You're off base on two counts: You don't know your Bibles, and you don't know how God works." (22:29)
I forget that God doesn't change, that He is for me, that He is my Father who loves me. Thankfully, Scripture always reminds of what is true about God, and how He works:
God is sheer mercy and grace; not easily angered, he's rich in love.
He doesn't endlessly nag and scold, nor hold grudges forever.
He doesn't treat us as our sins deserve, nor pay us back in full for our wrongs.
As high as heaven is over the earth, so strong is his love to those who fear him.
And as far as sunrise is from sunset, he has separated us from our sins.
As parents feel for their children, God feels for those who fear him.
(Psalm 103:8-13)
Praise God!

1 comment:

Staci said...

Interesting that Jesus allows the Pharisees and Sadducees to come at Him, one after the other. Patiently allowing them to get their best shots at Him. The nit-picking, literal, rule-driven Pharisees and the error-believing, wealthy, earthbound Sadducees. Both neglected God, both sought to live life on their own terms, both were missing the One who longed for them to know Him personally, intimately.

How different am I from them? What personal "truth" am I holding on to as necessary that Christ is saying let go of it and come to Me? I know it has to do with self-sufficiency and self-protection, just wrapped up in religious words that make it sound more spiritual.