...banquet on God... there is only one Life-Leader for you and them - Christ ... But if you're content to simply be yourself, your life will count for plenty. (23:4, 10, 12)Don't misunderstand me - I love (good) Christian books and the spiritual elders God has put in my life. They are beautiful gifts. But, this passage in Matthew requires me to examine my tendency (and the tendency in Christian culture) to follow people more than following Christ. It's much easier to read and agree with the latest Bible study than to dig in and feast on God's Word for myself. It's more appealing to read or listen to the next great writer/speaker and do what s/he suggests than to fall before God asking for what He wants from me and then depending on Him for the confirmation of what I've heard.
Again, there are so many good Biblically-based books, studies, and speakers. But, I think Jesus is asking me if I've given all authority to Him as my Life-Leader (v. 8-10)? Am I banqueting on the richness of God's law as food and drink? Or am I primarily taking in the pre-chewed, packaged food of others?
2 comments:
Thanks for this, Staci. I long for someone to run to for advice during the tough times, for that friend whom I can call at any time, for anything. Nobody ever satisfies: not a parent, a child, a husband, or even an amazing friend. Jesus is the only one who is meant to fill those supernatural, perfect shoes.
Lord, help me to run to you first during my trying times and stresses and not search for anyone or anything else to give me the wisdom, comfort, and peace that only you can satisfy. You are the only Everything that can truly satisfy.
Hey friend, I know the feeling. It's amazing what God does in our relationships when we no longer require someone else to satisfy us. Really takes the pressure off!
Post a Comment