Jesus went straight to the Temple and threw out everyone who had set up shop, buying and selling. He kicked over the tables of loan sharks and the stalls of dove merchants. He quoted this text:
'My house was designated a house of prayer; you have made it a hangout for thieves.'
Now there was room for the blind and crippled to get in. They came to Jesus and he healed them. (21:12-14)This story is familiar and I've heard many explanations for Jesus' strong reactions to the thieves in His Temple. What I've missed is that this is the second time Jesus drives out corruption from the Temple, the first was early in His ministry (John 2:12-15). I have also overlooked Matthew's additional commentary here - it wasn't just about clearing the Temple, it was about making room for those who needed to get in, the blind and crippled. None of the other gospels mentions this, but Matthew the despised tax collector, the outsider, includes it.
Jesus is quoting the prophet Isaiah here, who is making it clear that it's about the outsiders being invited in,
And as for the outsiders who now follow me, working for me, loving my name, and wanting to be my servants - all who keep Sabbath and don't defile it, holding fast to my covenant - I'll bring them to my holy mountain and give them joy in my house of prayer. They'll be welcome to worship the same as 'insiders' to bring burnt offerings and sacrifices to my altar. Oh yes, my house of worship will be known as a house of prayer for all people. (Isaiah 56:6-8)The blind and lame that Matthew refers to here are more than just outsiders. They were not required to come to the Temple to make sacrifices and in some caes they were excluded from the Temple (IVP commentary). This leads me to think that they weren't a normal sight around the Temple. In Matthew's mind, Jesus just made room for them to come to the house of prayer, to Him.
This has brought up thoughts for me about what I'm crowding my "temple" with that doesn't leave room for outsiders. What would Jesus clean out of my life that results in exclusion of those He's calling to Himself? Who am I not even noticing because I'm too busy with my own agenda, because I'm driven by my own desire for comforts, or because I'm yearning for acceptance from those I perceive as "insiders."
I'm asking the One who called me in from the outside to open my eyes.
1 comment:
Gosh, Staci, I never noticed the part about there NOW being room for the outsiders, and your comments about "house cleaning" to make room for others in your life is a great call to live with open eyes. Thanks!
Post a Comment