He replied to the one speaking for the rest, 'Friend, I haven't been unfair. We agreed on the wage of a dollar, didn't we? So take it and go. I decided to give to the one who came last the same as you. Can't I do what I want with my own money? Are you going to get stingy because I am generous? (20:13-15)Or as the NIV puts it,
"Or are you envious because I am generous?What had seemed like a good deal to the workers hired in the morning became a bitter pill to swallow when they didn't have an advantage over those hired later. What is it about us that makes God's generosity to others feel so unfair?
I don't usually struggle with envy. For whatever reason, that is less of a temptation for me than other sins. But I can recall a number of times in my adult life that envy reared its ugly head in my heart.
I remember when a woman whom I had discipled announced her engagement. I was shocked. She had all sorts of unresolved emotional and relational problems, and I remember thinking, "Seriously, God?? SHE can find a mate, and I can't?? Not fair." Although I didn't want to be envious of her, I definitely was. I saw myself has having my act together more than she did (as if!), and I resented that she got "rewarded" with a husband. Not my proudest moment.
"Envy is the painful and oftentimes resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by someone else. Sometimes we want that same advantage, leading to the further sin of covetousness. And sometimes we just resent the other person having something we don't have. But we don't just envy people in general. Usually, there are two conditions that tempt us to envy. First, we tend to envy those with whom we most closely identify. Second, we tend to envy in them the areas we value most." Jerry Bridges, Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We TolerateThe temptation to envy others happens when I compare myself to others. In one way or another, every single person possesses a trait or quality that I don't, so I always lose in that kind of competition. And by viewing the world through that lens, it also causes me to doubt God's sovereignty and goodness, as though He hasn't given me good gifts and been extravagantly generous to me in Christ. He has, more than I could ever fathom. There's no point for me to be envious of anyone else; in Christ, God has given me everything I truly need.
This parable of God's kingdom has me praising God for His radical generosity, provision, and goodness, regardless of my circumstances. What a faithful, amazing King we serve!
***************************************
Just a quick note on the adoption: We got some long-awaited good news this week. We received confirmation that our file will not be closed by the Rwandan government although our match deadline has passed! They are committed to finding children for the families who have been approved to adopt. Praise God! Although we don't have a time frame, we don't need to fear that the adoption will not happen. Someday, hopefully soon, Molly will join our family. Thanks to those of you who have been praying for us, and please keep praying for our little girl.
3 comments:
Love this! We always want to compare ourselves to other sinful, messed up people. God made us the way we are and gave us what we have for a reason, and we must trust that. Thank you for the reminder!!
(Glad for the adoption update Cici. This is great news!)
Sometimes I have a visceral reaction to this parable. Strong, right? Right. I know.
There is something in my heart that loves to compete, compare... and win. God's generosity on display here is antithetical to my sense of "fairness" and right and wrong. If those hired last are paid a certain amount, then certainly those hired first would make more! That's only fair!
When I make this parable about ME (as one hired first), then God seems unfair. Interestingly, I never see my self as one hired last. Growing up in the church and placing my faith in Christ at a young age might be why.
Then I shift my perspective and think about this parable and God's character. And that's what causes my heart to melt and rejoice. How fortunately we are that God is not like us, that he is so generous, that his ways are not our ways!
Oh how I long to center my life on God, not on me. How I want to live a life of joyful gratitude, not self-indulgent comparison or pity. I don't want to deny the human range of emotions, but I don't want to be defined by my circumstances or skewed perspective either.
Lord, how good that you are wholly other: morally pure, full of mercy, justice, compassion. I want to live free in the joy of your generosity and kindness. I want my heart's first reaction to be joy and gratitude. Thank you for your mercy on my jealous, envious, comparison-loving heart.
Cici!!! Ahhhhhhh!! Your update is completely in line with this post about His radical generosity for us, even when it might not look exactly like, or be timed exactly when, we think it should in our limited-vision thinking. Oh, I couldn't be any happier for you!!
Your post also reminds me of a quote that I've been preaching to myself (i can't remember by whom) that accurately states, "Comparison is the thief of joy." I think that there is power in identifying my joy thief.
Post a Comment