Matthew 7 is another familiar section of the Sermon on the Mount, quoted by Christians and nonChristians alike, often seeking a man-made peace or to divert attention away from our sin by calling on judgement to stop.
Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults - unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging... playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. (7:1-5)
Being an analyst at heart, I have struggled and sinned often in this area. Not always voicing my criticisms, but certainly entertaining the thoughts. As I often do, I have focused more on what I'm being told not to do (judge) than what Jesus is actually calling me to (love). It's my sin-bent to want to ask why I can't do something, why I'm being limited here. Jesus says "live your part", and I have to ask, what is my part exactly?
Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them... The way to life - to God! - is vigorous and requires total attention. (7:12, 14)
What do I most want from people? Love, acceptance, grace, forgiveness. My judgement obliterates these most desired and needed things.
"Judgement is the forbidden objectivization of the other person which destroys single-minded love. I am not forbidden to have my own thoughts about the other person, to realize his shortcomings, but only to the extent that it offers to me an occasion for forgiveness and unconditional love, as Jesus proves to me." (Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship)
2 comments:
Oooh! I really like that Bonhoeffer quote you shared Staci:
"Judgement is the forbidden objectivization of the other person which destroys single-minded love. I am not forbidden to have my own thoughts about the other person, to realize his shortcomings, but only to the extent that it offers to me an occasion for forgiveness and unconditional love, as Jesus proves to me."
I'd like to think about that quote for a while. I'm wired to be able to make quick decisions and snap judgments. But sometimes, when those judgments are about other people, I can be too hasty or severe. I love the challenge Jesus gives us to live in honesty and humility.
Can you imagine sitting with the people hearing Jesus' sermon for the first time? The Message says they burst into applause. In a time when dramatic reality-TV, blockbuster movies and million-dollar band tours with pyro-technic stage sets didn't rule entertainment for the masses, I'd imagine that an excellent orator, teacher or speaker would be the rockstar of the day. And here's Jesus with some rock-solid teaching, living out what he's saying. Powerful.
Um, yeah. Very convicting. Those verses stood out to me as well, Staci, as I definitely sin often with a critical and judgmental spirit. As if I know everything...ugh.
I also noticed Jesus' words about people who claim to know Him and the Final Judgment (v. 21-23):
What is required is serious obedience - doing what my Father wills...And do you know what I am going to say? 'You missed the boat. All you did was use me to make yourselves important.'
While I know that I am secure in Jesus, these verses make me think about whether I view obedience seriously, as in not optional. (Especially the hard things, like forgiving others and loving unloveable people) And whether I use Jesus to make myself feel important.
Post a Comment