Followers

Saturday, December 31, 2011

December 31 - Revelation 20-22: Everything As It Should Be

"In chapters 21 and 22, look! All things are new [21:5]. Shalom: everything is as it should be. See My Son high and lifted up...it will be time to dance, to laugh and sing as never before.
See what John saw that is soon to come - a new heaven and a new earth [21:10]. See the city of heaven come down to earth. See living water flow from My throne through the street of the Holy City {21:1, 22:1-2]... 
[T]he end is near. Keep looking. Keep seeing. Keep listening. I'll see you soon!" 66 LL
Eugene Peterson calls John's final vision the ending that is really a beginning. "The sinfully ruined creation of Genesis is restored in the sacrificially renewed creation of Revelation." It comes full circle, in God's way, in God's timing.

It's been quite a ride this year as we've traveled the long and winding road to God's ultimate victory. On many occasions, the situation looked pretty bleak, both for the Israelites and for me. Yet God faithfully kept His plan moving, despite the actions and attitudes of His rebellious people, and He does the same for me.

As I think back to when we began this journey in January, I thought I knew how this year would end. (Boy, was I wrong!) I was excited about diving into the Scriptures, but I had no idea that God's Word would become my life line during this gut-wrenching year. God sustained me, corrected me, challenged me, and infused me with unexpected hope just when I needed it. I hope He's done the same for you.

As we close out this year together, I have to agree wholeheartedly with something Larry Crabb said in the prologue to 66 Love Letters:
"I've concluded one thing: if you face yourself honestly, if you look through a clear lens at your life in this world, hearing God speak to you in the sixty-six love letters that make up the Bible will do you more good than anything else...
I want you to hear, as I long to hear, what God is saying to us in each of the sixty-six love letters He has written. When you weave them together into the whole story, you will hear the greatest love story ever told. You will be swept off your feet. No matter what doubts or disappointments or disasters come your way, you will pick up your Bible and rediscover hope...And you will be able to glean from the Bible the wisdom you need to live your life well, in any circumstance." 
I pray that each of us will continue to look to the Scriptures as our daily guide for living, for blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book. (22:7) Don't put it away on the shelf but use God's Word to maintain a straight course of righteousness and holiness. (22:10-11)

And above all, "Yes! Come, Master Jesus!" (22:20) I long for Your return, when You will make everything as it should be.
The grace of the Master Jesus be with all of you. Oh, Yes! (22:21)
Happy New Year, my friends!

2 comments:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

A beautiful ending post! Come LORD Jesus! I believe we are all a little more free to live for that one purpose---a wishing forward life. My thinking has been upside down at times, way more than I know. What a privilege to wrestle with women who long from the fray of their hearts to draw near to God. Thank you Cici for bringing God to us through your words and life and hopes and dreams. We didn't find relief here---no, we found Hope! My gratitude and love, Bev

Sarah Evers said...

WooHoo! Genesis to Revelation, January 1 to December 31. All in 2011. Amen!

Thank you Cici and Staci for putting this together, for sharing your hearts, for making hard choices about how you spend your time so that you can lead us through this adventure in the Scriptures.

I'm so thankful and so blessed:
Who knew I could deepen friendships through an online blog?

Who knew I would discover new friends through this blog?

Who knew my heart and mind and character and understanding of the Scriptures would be stretched and enlarged through this online blog?

God knew, and I know Him better today than I did on January 1, 2011.

What a rich year and a rich journey with you all!