Followers

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

October 4 - Matthew 7-8: Words to Build a Life On

Words are important to me.  To those who know me it may be obvious, considering that I co-write this blog, love to read and appreciate meaningful conversation above most other things.  In these two chapters of Matthew, Jesus finished the Sermon on the Mount and demonstrated the importance He places on words by giving me warnings about my use of them:
Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults...that  critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. (7:1-2)
Don't reduce holy mysteries to slogans. (7:6)
Don't bargain with God.  Be direct. (7:7)
Knowing the correct password - saying 'Master, Master,' for instance - isn't going to get you anywhere with me.  (7:21)
But if you just use my words in Bible studies and don't work them into your life, you are like a stupid carpenter who built his house on the sandy beach. (7:26) 
These words show me what displeases God, what comes out of my mouth that is distasteful and abhorrent to Him.  When I choose to share my critical analysis of someone, I must remember that I will get it back.  If, in order to draw attention to myself, I choose a pat or clever answer instead of the truth of the mystery of God, He views it as sacrilege.  When I begin listing all the good things I've done, my past "sacrifices" to God in hopes that He will bargain with me and give me what I want, I'm questioning the God of the Universe's love, goodness, and sovereignty.  When I seek out ways to serve that are visible, noticed, and feel-good, I'm outwardly calling Him, 'Master,' but He knows that I'm just using Him to make myself important.  Or, when my speech around Christians is altered, more "spiritual" than my actual relationship with God, then I'm just building up an exterior shell that will be easily blown away when the truth comes out about my real internal life.  These words and the places in my heart that they emanate from, are not words to build a life on.  They are sin and death.

Jesus gave life through His Words:
These words I speak to you are not incidental additions to your life... They are foundational words, words to build a life on..... (7:24)
When Jesus concluded his addresss...it was apparent that he was living everything he was saying... (7:28-29)
Then he stood up and told the wind to be silent, the sea to quiet down: 'Silence!'  The sea became smooth as glass.  The men rubbed their eyes, astonished.  'What's going on here?  wind and sea come to heel at his command!'  (8:26-27)
Jesus' Words are life because He lived everything He said.  His Words are power because He is the source of all power.  This is the Savior who gave Himself to heal me of the separation from the Dance with Him, His Father, and His Spirit.  How can my words reflect what He has done and is doing in me?
Jesus reached out and touched him, saying, '...Be clean... Your cleansed and grateful life not your words, will bear witness to what I have done.'   (8:3-4)
It's His work in me that gives life.  His and His alone.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I just want to share that reading the NT in this version is very different! I am enjoying it as it brings new understanding. Lord, allow your Words to fall fresh in my heart so that I might worship and know You in a new way. Keep changing me to be the mom, wife, and woman you planned for me to be. I am yours!

I also pray for Cici that you would blanket her with Your love and give her clarity. Confusion is not from You Lord. I'm reminded of this often!

Amanda McKinley said...

Yikes...this blog post sure was convicting regarding words. I know what to say and how to act, but what comes out of mouth sure doesn't line up with what I know should come out. "From out of the heart, the mouth speaks" - yikes!

Oh Lord, may my words glorify You because You have taken hold of my heart and placed Yourself on the throne. When I am on the throne in my heart, how quickly do my words reflect that?

So perhaps when I see those not so pretty words of gossip, criticism, slander, flattery, etc., coming out of my mouth, may I use that as a "heart check" and quick call to confess, repent and seek Jesus for help!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Sitting on the top of the mountain where Jesus preached this sermon 2,000 years ago shook me to the core. Jesus stood at the bottom of the Mount and his voice carried up over the lepers and adulterers and Pharisees and disciples riddled with amibition. Love it that my LORD wants to be my friend right where I am riddled with my own problems. I don't have to work hard to get rid of my sin, lest I do penance. Calling me to repentance. Changing me to really live!