Followers

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

October 5 - Matthew 9-10: Live Generously

If your first concern is to look after yourself, you'll never find yourself. But if you forget about yourself and look to me, you'll find both yourself and me. (10:39)
It's easy and even acceptable in our American Christian culture to get caught up in making life work for ourselves. Although I know better, I get caught in the trap of thinking that God and church and worship are all about getting my needs met. I confess I've been in that place a lot recently. Not overtly, of course, but that's what's going in my heart.

I have all sorts of excuses and explanations for why, but none of them fly in light of the words of Jesus in these chapters. He doesn't give me the luxury of being insulated and all-about-me.
Go figure out what this Scripture means: 'I'm after mercy, not religion.' I'm here to invite outsiders, not coddle insiders. (9:13) 
He came - and I'm still on this planet - for a reason.
Go to the lost, confused people right here in the neighborhood. Tell them that the kingdom is here. (10:6)
To love others in such a way that they'll know that Jesus has come. The kingdom is here. He loves these people as much as He loves me.
When he looked out over the crowds, [Jesus'] heart broke. So confused and aimless they were, like sheep with no shepherd. (9:37)
These words challenge me to get outside of myself once again and to embrace the lost, confused, and aimless people around me. I want to have the same heart as Jesus for His sheep.  I have plenty of neighbors and acquaintances who would happily engage if I would only look beyond my current circumstances and get over my excuse-filled inertia.

And yes, with plenty of these people, I have no idea how to relate to them effectively. I want to be salt and light, but with some of them, I don't have much in common. Relating to them feels like work to me. But thankfully, God promises His power in this area too.
And don't worry about what you'll say or how you'll say it. The right words will be there; the Spirit of your Father will supply the words. (10:20)
God promises to fill me with His Spirit and His words when I move forward in faith. And He will use me as His instrument of love and grace in the lives of people who desperately need Him.
You have been treated generously, so live generously. (10:8)

No comments: