Followers

Thursday, August 25, 2011

August 25 - Jeremiah 46-48: Condemnation and Forgiveness

These chapters of Jeremiah, from 46-51, are prophecies against the Gentile nations.  Not exactly uplifting nor easy reading.  Don't think I've ever seen a ladies' Bible study offered on "Jeremiah's Condemning Messages to the Gentile Nations."  Why are these chapters in here?  How is God speaking to me today through these awful prophecies?

My first inclination is to see the obvious:  God's righteousness and my sin.  He is making it clear that He alone is the Master (46:10), the God-of-the-Angel-Armies (46:10), the Living God (46:18), the Commander (47:7), the Judge (48:21, 40), and the One who will put things right (48:47).  Just like these enemy nations of Jacob, my sins of pride (46:8; 48:29), idolatry (46:25-26; 48:7), and the tongue (48:27) are called out by God.  The vast and great contrast of the Holy God and my unholy life are apparent here.  I'm no different than these Gentile nations.  I am desolate, done for, my debt is overwhelming.

In the middle of these chapters, there's a brief interlude of God's message to Jacob, His chosen people:
But you, dear Jacob my servant, you have nothing to fear.  Israel, there's no need to worry.  Look up!  I'll save you....Depend on it, I'm on your side...I'll punish you, but fairly.  No, I'm not finished with you yet.  (46:27-28)
A glimmer of hope.  Actually, much more than that - the only Hope.  The vastness between God and myself, the overwhelming debt - it doesn't end there.  A way has been made.
"...the debt of wrong doesn't vanish...If we know that forgiveness always entails suffering for the forgiver and that the only hope of rectifying and righting wrongs comes by paying the cost of suffering, then it should not surprise us when God says, 'The only way I can forgive the sins of the human race is to suffer - either you will have to pay the penalty for sin or I will.'  Sin always entails a penalty.  Guilt can't be dealt with unless someone pays.
"The only way God can pardon us and not judge us is to go to the cross and absorb it into himself.  'I must suffer,' Jesus said."  (Tim Keller, King's Cross)
Jesus warned them..."It is necessary that the Son of Man proceed to an ordeal of suffering, be tried and found guilty by the elders, high priests, and religion scholars, be killed, and after three days rise up alive."  He said this simply and clearly so they couldn't miss it.  Mark 8:30-32
Savior and Lord, I don't want to miss what You're saying in these unlovely chapters of Jeremiah.  You suffered to pay my debt.  I should be condemned, instead I am forgiven.  I am a Gentile living in the promise that You saved me, You're on my side, You're not finished with me yet.

No comments: