Followers

Friday, August 26, 2011

August 26 - Jeremiah 49-50: A Clean Slate

I agree with Staci. These are not fun chapters. Judgment, judgment, and more judgment.

These foreign nations - Ammon, Edom, Damascus, Kedar, Hazor, Elam, and Babylon - were in serious trouble. Jeremiah's prophecies came true; God wiped many of them off the face of the earth.

But for Ammon and Elam in particular, there were promises of salvation along with the judgment.
"Still, the time will come when I will make things right with Ammon." God's Decree. (49:6)
"But the time will come when I make everything right for Elam again." God's Decree. (49:39)
The other nations got no such promises of mercy from God. They received judgment alone.

Babylon received the harshest - and longest - indictment. As Israel was taken captive by Babylon, God pronounced His future judgment on their conquerors. Through Jeremiah, God reminded His people that The Holy of Israel was still in control, despite their dire circumstances. He promised that He would pour out His wrath on Babylon in due time.

And there in the middle of the proclamation of doom on Babylon God slipped in an incredible promise to Israel:
And now this is what God-of-the-Angel-Armies, the God of Israel, has to say: "Just watch! I'm bringing doom on the king of Babylon and his land, the same doom I brought on the king of Assyria. But Israel I'll bring home to good pastures...In those days and at that time" - God's Decree - "they'll look high and low for a sign of Israel's guilt - nothing; search nook and cranny for a trace of Judah's sin - nothing. These people that I've saved will start out with a clean slate." (50:18-20)
At this point, God's people still had not repented of their sin. They were whining, making excuses for their worship of other gods, and trying to kill Jeremiah. They didn't want God; they wanted to make their life work. Yet God in His infinite love and mercy promised that He would wipe the slate clean for Israel. Their guilt would be gone, not a trace of their sin left. Amazing!

These obscure chapters in Jeremiah powerfully remind me (again!) that I've done nothing to deserve God's love and mercy. He alone is the author of salvation. He wipes away my guilt and shame; I contribute nothing. It's not about my good behavior or right living. God gives mercy and salvation to those whom He chooses.

And HE CHOSE ME! 

My slate is clean because of Christ's death on the cross - FOR ME. Hallelujah!

I'll say it again: It.blows.my.mind.

I will never get over that truth. I sit here with tears of gratitude streaming down my face. My God is mighty to save, and He has rescued me.
"But the Rescuer is strong: God-of-the-Angel-Armies. Yes, I will take their side, I'l come to their rescue." (50:34)
[Christ] presented himself for this sacrificial death when we were far too weak and rebellious to do anything to get ourselves ready. And even if we hadn't been so weak, we wouldn't have know what to do anyway...But God put his love on the line for us by offering his Son in sacrificial death while we were of no use whatever to him.  (Romans 5:6-8)

2 comments:

Staci said...

It's interesting to me that the reality (49:7) isn't what's apparent in the circumstances. The circumstances say that Babylon is the victor, they are the power, they have the blessing. But, the true reality is what God says will happen - a clean slate, Mr. Pride will fall on his face, the Rescuer is strong, He'll take over and pounce. That's the reality of God's prophecy. Convicting to me today whether I'm living in God's reality or living as though my circumstances are the reality.

Christina Teng said...

Clean slate. My mind is blown too.

I'm encouraged that I still have done nothing to deserve it. Following Jesus "well" or "horribly" doesn't make my slate clean. Jesus' death does.

Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. John 12:35 In my darkness I remember that I have Jesus in me. Clean slate, over and over again as my sin is washed away. Am I living to continue to be a better person and gutwrenched when I'm not.. again? OR living to love the Lord and follow Jesus. Oh, this daily life... Take my life, Jesus.