So, Psalm 136 really caught my eye. Twenty-six times: "His love never quits" sandwiched between evidences of God's unfailing love. He doesn't fail because He's God, not because He's stubborn. And He doesn't say His love never quits, so go and act right or go and serve Him better. The psalmist says, "His love never quits" so thank Him, remember what He did, it's about Him. This is the beauty of God and the gospel.
"A gospel is an announcement of something that has happened in history, something that's been done for you that changes your status forever.
"Right there you can see the difference between Christianity and all other religions, including no religion. The essence of other religions is advice; Christianity is essentially news....'This is what has been done in history. This is how Jesus lived and died to earn the way to God for you.' Christianity is completely different. It's joyful news.
"How do you feel when you're given good advice on how to live? Someone says, "Here's the love you ought to have...how does it make you feel? Inspired, sure....Do you feel your burdens have fallen off? Do you feel as if something great has been done for you and you're not a slave anymore? Of course you don't. It weighs you down: This is how I have to live. It's not a gospel. The gospel is that God connects to you not on the basis of what you've done (or haven't done) but on the basis of what Jesus has done, in history, for you." (Tim Keller, King's Cross)His love never quits. His love never quits. His love never quits. Let it wash over us and let the burdens fall off. Know that something great has been done for us as recorded in Psalm 139 and we're not slaves anymore. The miracle-working God, who formed the cosmos, who laid out earth, who filled the skies with light, who rescued Israel and smashed kingdoms remembered us, rescued us, takes care of us. "Thank God, who did it all!"
2 comments:
I just got google+ and +1 -ed this! :)
What a great reminder of the Gospel today, thank you! His love endures forever, never quits because He is God. I use to struggle with not being able to love hard to love people and be so frustrated about this. I wanted to be more loving. But it really wasn't until I realized HOW MUCH I am loved by God just as I am and how treasured I am to Him and chosen, ps135:4 that I could truly look to Him and understand that He is LOVE.
The Gospel is news that changes our status forever. It's such good news that I am so thankful to have heard and be hearing daily. I am so broken so my friends and family whose ears or hearts are closed. Praying for God to open them to His good news and change their status forever. Praying to soak in this Gospel truth of Jesus Christ daily <3 . Praising God for opening my dad and moms heart today to go to church as a family! Please pray for them to truly come to know a relationship with God! Thanks :) Treasuring time at home.
Amazing Comments...so look forward to reading them every day.
Psalm 138:5 ~ "The moment I called out, You stepped in, You made my life Large with Strength." At dinner last night, a friend asked me if I thought I was healed from a huge loss, a betrayal. And my answer surprised a few, even myself. "Absolutely. I am no longer bleeding from my wounds and I know it is God Who has so showed up and healed me---a Deeper Strength that can come only from Him." I join all of y'all in thanking the Miracle-Working God for what I see He is doing in all of our lives, Large with Strength.
Post a Comment