Followers

Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 9 - Psalm 120-132: A Pilgrim Song

There have been difficult times when I couldn't articulate what I was feeling or even formulate a prayer to God. A recent example has been the unexpected adoption news. In that instance, my thoughts were jumbled, and my emotions were reeling. In the moment, worship music was a God-send for me. The familiar songs gave voice to my emotions and enabled me to focus on God and to worship Him in the midst of the circumstances. The God-focus helped put my feelings in perspective and calmed my nerves.

As I began today's reading, I noticed that each of these psalms was identified as "a pilgrim song." Apparently, the Book of Psalms is not only a prayer book, but it's a worship songbook as well. Eugene Peterson helped me understand what I was reading:
"The old songbook [Psalms 120-134] is called the Song of Ascents...These fifteen songs were likely sung, possibly in sequence, by Hebrew pilgrims as they went up to Jerusalem to the great worship festivals. Topographically, Jerusalem was the highest city in Palestine, and so all who traveled there spent a lot of time ascending. But the ascent was not only literal; it was metaphorical. The trip to Jerusalem acted out a life lived upward toward God, an existence that advanced from one level to another in developing maturity...There are no better "songs for the road" for those who travel the way of Christ, a way that has so many continuities with the way of Israel. These fifteen songs describe elements common to all those who travel the ascending Christian way." Conversations, pg. 905
As I read, I learned some of the truths, the common elements that are required for a life of discipleship, a life of increasing maturity in relationship with God. This is what I want to remember on my own pilgrimage of faith.
No, my strength comes from God (121:2)
Pray for Jerusalem's peace!...For the sake of my family and friends, I say it again: live in peace! (122:6, 8)
I look to you, heaven-dwelling God, look up to you for help. Like servants, alert to their master's commands, like a maiden attending her lady. (123:1-2)
God's strong name is our help, the same God who made heaven and earth. (124:8)
Mountains encircle Jerusalem, and God encircles his people - always has and always will. (125:2)
So those who went off with heavy hearts will come home laughing, with armloads of blessing. (126:6)
Don't you know that he enjoys giving rest to those he loves? (127:2)
Stand in awe of God's Yes (128:4)
As it turns out, forgiveness is your habit, and that's why you're worshiped. (130:4)
Wait, Israel, for God. Wait with hope. Hope now; hope always! (131:3)
I continue to be surprised at how much I'm enjoying the Psalms. I feel like this past month has been somewhat of an emotional roller coaster with my circumstances, yet the psalms - and my God - have been right there with me in it all. For that, I'm grateful!
"All experiences are part of the pilgrimage of faith, which are mapped in the Psalms. All the emotional ups and downs are charted for us with great honesty and precision, as if to say, 'This is the way. You aren't lost. It's like this for everyone who walks by faith.'" Conversations, pg. 906

2 comments:

Christina said...

I, too, am really enjoying the psalms! :)

My summer has been a rollercoaster too and everytime I open up to read psalms, I experience God with me. Through it all. I'm thankful.

I'm thankful for the reminder to be real and to not hide how I'm doing or feeling. To be real before God. I also really enjoy my own psalm journal- even though it'll never be as articulate and beautiful as these!

Bev Brandon @ A String of Pearls said...

Standing in awe of God's Yes! Psa 127:2. A few months ago, we stood on the Southern Steps in Jerusalem having made this ascent. Some suggest that the 15 alternating long and short Southern Steps that excavators uncovered may have been where the pilgrims sang the 15 Psalms of Ascent. I sat on those crooked (causing the pilgrims to slow down and reflect even more) Southern Steps and listened to Larry preach a sermon on Psalm 131 that I'll never forget. This psalm touches deep places in me. Hope now. Hope always. "With God's help, I shall become myself." Soren Kierkegaard