God, my Lord, Strong Savior, protect me when the fighting breaks out. (140:7)
But God, dear Lord, I only have eyes for you. Since I've run for dear life to you, take good care of me. (141:8)
I cry out, God, call out: "You're my last chance, my only hope for life!" (142:5)
Save me from my enemies, God - you're my only hope! Teach me how to live to please you, because you're my God. (143:9)I'm inspired by David's bold and confident prayers. He didn't shy away from asking God for what he needed. He didn't pretend that his situation was something he could handle, and he didn't assume that God would ignore him. David turned to God every time because he trusted in God's character:
God is all mercy and grace - not quick to anger, is rich in love. (145:8)
God is good to one and all, everything he does is suffused with grace. (145:9)
God always does what he says, and is gracious in everything he does. (145:13)
God's there, listening for all who pray, for all who pray and mean it. (145:18)My prayers aren't always as forthright or confident as David's. I waffle, and I doubt. Sometimes I wonder whether God hears my concerns, whether He cares about what's happening, and then I demand that He come through for me. In those moments, my view of God is grossly distorted, as if He's a kindly Santa or a spiritual gum ball machine who has to give me what I want.
That's why I'm so thankful for the Scriptures, especially the Psalms. Because of the honesty of emotions and the background of when these verses were written, I can relate in some way to what David is expressing. And in the midst of my trying times and fluctuating emotions, God uses His Word to remind me of who He is and why I can trust Him. I don't have to rely on my feelings or my distorted perspective because
He's the bedrock on which I stand, the castle in which I live, my rescuing knight (144:1)As we near the end of the Psalms, I am reminded of how relevant they are to my daily life and experiences. They reveal the One True God and, in turn, help me find my true self.
"Meditate on each psalm, knowing that I am calling you to walk a road that, for long seasons, you will not enjoy. Then decide, again and again: either cling to Me as I AM or reshape Me into who you want Me to be. The stakes are high. Either you will find yourself in finding Me as I reveal Myself, or you will lose yourself in creating Me to fit your foolish expectations. Make the right choice. I want you to sing a new song." 66 LLLord, I pray that You will give me the courage to embrace You as You are. Help me resist the temptation to make You into a god that is more manageable, predictable, and tame. May You truly be the bedrock on which I stand today.
3 comments:
Amen to your Bedrock words! He is!
Just finished watching the Jaycee Dugard story online. So many thoughts swirling in my mind listening to her horror. And then I read Ps 140:2 that God is on the side of the victims. I know He was on my side when I was raped even though there was no justice at that time---one day. My brother was sick like Jaycee's abductor. Do I believe my worst problem is pain and those who failed me? No. I am so drawn to the statement in 66 LL: We arrange for our good in this life even through good things like worship, music, hard work and serving others. In every trial that comes our way, every heartache we endure, every failure we fall into, every season of darkness where dreams lie shattered, we can count on THIS---our God is at work to make us aware of how far short we fall of His relational perfection & to do whatever it takes to get us relating like Him. So very grateful for men like Larry who have disrupted my thinking, my heart.
Amen. Praying these same prayers Cici!
I'm starting to see how the Psalms have really begun to transform my life and my walk with Jesus. I was so quick to listen to my emotions and act by them but the psalms remind me that God is my rock, never changing and every real and valid emotion can be brought to Him.
The fear disappears when I remember how much of a sinner I am and how much He loved me to come and rescue me. Soaking in His love for me. Praying big prayers and asking God to draw me closer to Him as I run to Him, always leading me back to Him, and asking God to show me more of who He is. He is worthy of our worship, worthy of our praise and obedience! He is worthy to be known!
I agree, Bev! I am so grateful for men like Larry Crabb who are teaching me to go deeper and look at things differently than I have before. I'm also thankful for you...for engaging with us on this blog, for writing comments that make me think about what I believe, for always being authentic on here.
Christina - I love what God is showing you and how He's drawing you nearer to Him through His Word. I'm praying for you and your family as you prepare to head back overseas. Love you!
Post a Comment