Followers

Saturday, June 25, 2011

June 25 - Psalms 66-69: No Ordinary Life

I feel like I'm all over the map today. We had workers in our home for three days this week, replacing old casement windows. (No small feat.) The house is a complete disaster, with three rooms still waiting to be put back together.

Claire turns 3 today so I'm trying to make it a special day for her. It's also a milestone birthday for my Dad so we'll be celebrating with my family tonight. I've been baking and decorating cakes for two days now. More family arrives mid-week for the girls' joint birthday party next weekend.

And happily, we got some good news yesterday related to the adoption that I'm not allowed to share in the blogosphere yet. I will soon, hopefully, as soon as it's official.

So it's no wonder that my head is spinning and life feels chaotic on the outside and on the inside. I feel like I'm living in my head a lot more than usual, mulling over things myself and trying to process my emotions about all that's happening.

But one thing that keeps bouncing around my brain is that I don't want to live an ordinary life; I want one that can only be explained by God. This thought may seem random and unrelated to what's happening, but it's not.

I'm confronted daily with the reality that God has given me so much - way more than I deserve. He saved me as an adult, at a time when I wasn't looking for Him. He loves me so much that He went looking for me.  God's given me a calling and purpose that I'm passionate about - helping others (mainly women) grow in their love for, understanding of, and commitment to the Lord.

He's given me an incredible husband who faithfully points me to the Lord, both in the way he lives his life and in how he loves and serves me and our children. God's given me two beautiful daughters whom I love more than I ever could have imagined. I have loving and supportive parents and friends who encourage me, laugh with me, and spur me on. And now there's the prospect of another sweet girl from Rwanda in our future. My heart is full!

I am humbled, grateful beyond words, and in awe of my God who loves me. I did nothing to deserve any of these blessings, yet God's given generously and richly. I don't think I'll ever understand that, or ever get over it, for that matter. How in the world could I not surrender everything I am to a God like that??
We all arrive at your doorstep sooner or later, loaded with guilt, our sins too much for us - but you get rid of them once and for all. Blessed are the chosen! Blessed the guest at home in your place! (65:2-4)
All believers, come here and listen, let me tell you what God did for me...Blessed be God: he didn't turn a deaf ear, he stayed with me, loyal in his love. (66:16, 20)
God! Let people thank and enjoy you. Let all people thank and enjoy you. Earth, display your exuberance! You mark us with blessing, O God, our God. You mark us with blessing, O God. (67:5-7)
Enjoy God, cheer when you see him! Father of orphans, champion of widows, is God in his holy house. (68:5)
He's our Savior, our God, oh yes! He's God-for-us, he's God-who-saves-us. (68:20)
I love you more than I can say. (69:9)
Let me shout God's name with a praising song, Let me tell his greatness in a prayer of thanks. (69:30)

2 comments:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Psalm 67:7 Earth's four corners, honor Him! Your post so honors Him, Cici. Your story does! Unbelievable meaningful change as a young adult because you encountered and embraced your God so profoundly personal...changed the trajectory of your life, and it resulted in worship! Earth's four corners, honor Him! Staci, may you worship from deep places in your heart this day.

Staci said...

I was blown away by Psalm 66. Never noticed this before - God gives us the "signposts" on the road to life. First - training through refining fires. (v. 10) Then - bringing us to "hardscrabble country", pushing us to our very limit (v. 11). Then, a road test, taking us to hell and back (v. 12). Finally, he brought us to this well-watered place. (v. 12) So interesting since we are in Switzerland where we can drink the water from the taps, the lakes, the fountains on the streets. God, has brought us to this well-watered place after traveling this difficult road to life. He keeps inviting me to remember what He's done, where He's taken us, and what He's brought us through. Not the first nor the last time we'll pass these signposts. But, it's really comforting for me to know that the fires, the pushing, the going to hell and back were part of God's sovereignty, His grace, His love, His perfect plans. Didn't enjoy the process, but the thirst it created made me long for the Living Water.