Followers

Sunday, June 26, 2011

June 26 - Psalms 70-73: Come On!

The tone of Psalm 71 seems very demanding to me -- and I kind of like it!  God, get me out of this mess!  Hey Lord, listen!  Father, give me space!  Oh, and by the way I'd like a guest room where I can retreat (v. 1-3)  These forceful requests reflect my heart right now as we retreat with cross-cultural workers who are desperate for rest, for childcare, for a chance to debrief, for salsa, for help in every way.  God, get to work.  Come on, these are folks who are living all out for you, leaving it all on the field - literally - and You don't seem to be coming through for them.
God, don't just watch from the sidelines. Come on!  Run to my side! (v. 12)
My demandingness comes out of a desire for relief, for a fix, for things to feel better for these folks.  Because then I could feel better about myself and the job I'm doing here.  I think I'm missing the point that the psalmist is trying to make.  He's not demanding God come through for him.   He's letting God know what he needs to accomplish what's on God's heart:
God, don't walk off and leave me until I get out the news of your strong right arm to this world, news of your power to the world yet to come, your famous and righteous ways, O God.  God, you've done it all!  Who is quite like you?...When I open up in song to you, I let out lungsful of praise, my rescued life a song.  All day long I'm chanting about you and your righteous ways... (v. 18 - 24)
That's the point.  Not me.  Christ.

1 comment:

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Oh Staci, so glad to hear God stirring through you. A God watching not from the sidelines but from inside of you. Thinking about how disciples in Acts found Him from the inside! You are pouring His Life out, Psalm 50:2. Psalm 73:1 ~"God is good—But I nearly missed it! I was looking the other way," for a safe place to fall! Loved your line! We are ALL far more evil than we dare realize, we are ALL far more loved than we dare hope. Praying for your next 5 days as you offer hope and courage. Stand tall. Love well!