Followers

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

June 21 - Psalms 40-45: We Simply Must Have God

The record-breaking heat has been unbearable this week. Our air-conditioner is working overtime, and our poor yard is suffering from the lack of rain. We're not playing outside much these days, which is hard on my kids, and I've been more concerned than usual about keeping us hydrated in this heat. Not surprisingly, the metaphor of the deer and water caught my attention this morning.
A white-tailed deer drinks from the creek; I want to drink God, deep draughts of God. I'm thirsty for God-alive. (42:1)
I can imagine how the deer pants for streams of water ( 42:1, NIV) because there's nothing better to me on a hot summer day than a big glass of icy water. Nothing else can quench my thirst so well - not an iced tea, not a Coke, not even a Sonic cherry-lime slush. When the icy water hits my throat, the feeling of satisfaction mixed with relief is heavenly.

In a similar way, when I'm struggling, there's nothing better than experiencing the presence of the Lord. It can be through His Word, communing with Him in prayer, or worshiping Him with other believers. Those are the times when I literally feel my thirst for the Lord being quenched.
"What water is to the deer, God is to you and to me. We simply must have God. And it must be the living God. Nothing stale or stagnant. The deer runs past all the mud puddles and swamps and marshes to clear, flowing streams. I don't want what is left over from God after last week's thundershower. I want him fresh, flowing, living. What I learned in Sunday school in the third grade won't satisfy me. What I read in the Bible last week won't satisfy me. What someone told me this morning on television or the radio won't quench my thirst. I want to get the water myself. I have to have God. Every thirst, every hunger, every longing for satisfaction is a metaphor for the fundamental longing in our lives for God." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 820
The best way for me to continue to drink God, deep draughts of God, is through His Word every day. It's fresh, flowing, and living. Daily, the Scriptures remind me of who God is, of who I am, and of the Grander Story He's writing.
Fix my eyes on God - soon I'll be praising again.  He puts a smile on my face. He's my God. (42:5)
When my soul's in the dumps, I rehearse everything I know of you. (42:6)

5 comments:

Cici said...

Staci - Please tell Camille that I said "Happy Birthday!" Hope your first day on the job is very special. I'm praying for deep connections with the participants.

Random comment - I can see on our stats that we have some folks on here from Boise and Belgium and Kirkland, WA. We'd love to hear how you got connected with us so if you feel like it, please leave a comment or send me an email at ciciscott(at)gmail(dot)com. So glad you're here with us!

And no worries, people - I can't tell where most of you are coming from but these three I can so I thought I'd ask! :-)

Amy Chambers said...

I continue to be reminded of how different my days are when when I'm "drinking up the living God" daily and when I've neglected to spend any time with Him due to "life circumstances." I also used to think that I needed 30 minutes of uninterrupted time to read the Bible or to pray...that is simply not my reality. Even this morning, I got up at 5:45 to read and was joined by my early rising children. God continues to teach me that He'll meet me where I am. He'll still get His message in me while my kids are asking me questions, pulling at my pant leg and requesting "you name it". Motherhood is much better with HIM than without. :)

Staci said...

We've had a beautiful today in Interlaken! Celebrated Camille's 15th birthday with a huge ice cream creation at the same restaurant I used to frequent as a teen during youth camp! Just finished our first staff meeting and overwhelmed by the needs that we will have in front of us. As psalm 42 says, thirsty people that can only have real refreshment in God-Alive.

Bev Brandon @ The Fray said...

Psalm 42:2 Thirsty for God-Alive. I so want to be alive and not miss the grace of God (Jonah 2:8).

Kind of unbelievable that you are here with us Staci. You're in our hearts and prayers.

I'm actually in Kirkland. We're here for a pro triathlon race in Monroe. Beautiful place! Stunning weather! My husband's family lives in Eatonville.

Psalm 45:1 means a lot... My heart bursts its banks, spilling beauty and goodness. Oh, I so pray that for all of us and especially you Staci, this day.

Cici said...

Love the perspective, Amy. I don't have the number of kiddos you do, but trying to connect with God while children are underfoot feels like a challenge to me. It seems like my time with God consists of me saying, "Give me patience, Lord."

Glad you solved one mystery for me, Bev! haha Hope you're enjoying cooler weather than we're having here. Was Barrett in the triathalon today?

I'm praying for you, Staci, and for the participants. Psalm 34:17-19