David took on more concubines and wives from Jerusalem after he left Hebron. (5:13)
They placed the Chest of God on a brand-new oxcart and removed it from Abinadab's house. (6:3)David was God's anointed, poised to take over the throne of Israel:
"Yet David added many women to his harem in direct violation of My instructions in Deuteronomy 17:17. And he did so right after I blessed him...Again, in direct violation of My orders in Numbers 4:15, David imitated the godless Philistines when he transported My ark on a new cart. I had been explicit that only Levites were to carry the ark...
As you read [David's] story, I want you to see glimpses of greatness as well as exposures of evil. Realize that though you still fail, you can advance my plan." 66 LLWhew! That means, regardless of my many failures and 'exposures of evil,' God can still use me for His purposes.
As God has been revealing my ugly relational sin to me lately, I've started to wonder how in the world I can be writing this blog. Who am I to tell anybody anything about ANYTHING, especially about following God?? I feel like a disaster of epic proportions. Really. And that's not my usual personality.
I'm beginning to feel like God is doing a controlled burn in my life, burning out the underbrush of sin that's accumulated in my life, and causing me to see myself with fresh eyes, from God's perspective. But I'm also wondering if this fire's gotten way too out of control. I feel like I'm being consumed.
God, your God, is not to be trifled with - he's a consuming fire, a jealous God. (Deuteronomy 4:24)I'm learning that God will not indulge my sin, regardless of how comfortable I've gotten with it, nor will He tolerate second place (or worse.) Nor did He indulge David's sin. There were short-term and long-term consequences that we'll see in the coming chapters and books.
Even so, 2 Samuel gives me HOPE. It's after these exposures of evil that God makes His covenant with David. God knew exactly what He was getting with David, just like He knows exactly what He's getting with me!
Your family and your kingdom are permanently secured. I'm keeping my eye on them! And your royal throne will always be there, rock solid. (7:16)
"I never broke My promise to David. And I will never break My promise to you. There will be a party, and you're both invited. That's my message in 2 Samuel." 66 LLThank You, God, for Your extravagant mercy.
Thank You for showing me favor though I deserve only Your wrath.
Thank You for the truth of Your Word.
Thank You for the conviction of sin.
Thank You for the ability to repent of my sin.
Thank You for knowing everything about me and still choosing me.
2 comments:
Chapter 7 is humbling. God tells David that He is the one who has done everything in and for David -- took you, made you, with you, mowed down your enemies, made you famous, will give you peace, will build you a house, establish your son and permanently secure your kingdom.
David's response was right: "Who am I, my Master God?...You've done all this not because of who I am but because of who you are." (7:18-21)
My sense of entitlement stands out large against this passage -- I feel as though all my service and hard work is worthy of God's reward. I expect it and feel a little miffed when it doesn't show up when and how I think it should.
Who am I? Who do I think I am?
In God's largeness and out of who He is, He has been incredibly good to me and my family. We deserve nothing and He has given us everything.
As I was reading I wondered... why David? The people God chooses still fail. Why did He choose David? And then leave from Saul but not from David even though David also was not holy enough...
then I am also led to question...
why me? why me, God?
Sometimes when it's hard to believe that He has chosen me out of His pleasure-and He has told me these same things- I'll never leave you, I will love you unconditionally, I've brought you out of darkness for eternal happiness with Me, and so many more promises throughout His word- I just have to believe. I have to. Because on this world, there is no love like this. If I don't believe His love for me, then the cross doesn't make sense. If I don't believe His love- then I will never love Him like I should. Love motivates love. As my eyes turn so FAST away from Jesus when I'm just overwhelmed by my sin- I just need to remind myself to look back at Him. For every one time I look at myself at who I am- I need to look ten times at Jesus. Thankful for this love story. Thankful it's all about LOVE. I need His love.
Post a Comment