Followers

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

April 5 - 2 Samuel 1-3 : A New Way to Live

Here we go to the next stage of David's life.  His enemy, Saul, is dead and David should be ushered into the kingdom with a crown placed on his head because he is God's chosen.  Right?  Not yet.  Still not yet.  Instead, we are introduced to three characters who take matters into their own hands.  They know God, but they choose to make the situation work in their favor:
  • The young Amalekite soldier that we'll call the Opportunist (1:1-16).  Believing that he had information that David would be glad to hear and that he would be richly rewarded for having slain David's enemy, he lies about his role in Saul's death.  In the end, he is struck dead at David's command.
  • Abner, the Power-Hungry (3:6-7) commander of Saul's army who knew that God had anointed David as king (3:8-10), but sets up Ish-Bosheth as king (2:8), then fights Joab's men for the sport of it (2:12-32) and kills Asahel (David's nephew and Joab's brother); and takes Saul's concubine for himself (3:6-7).  In the end, he is tricked and killed in the street (3:27, 34).
  • David's nephew, Joab son of Zeruiah, the Vengeful one, whose brother is killed by Abner and in retaliation, he kills Abner in cold-blood (3:27).  David says of Joab's actions, "May the Lord repay the evildoer according to his evil deeds!" (3:39, NIV)
The whole story has a little West Side Story "gang feel" to it.  These three men's actions may be considered extreme examples of "exposures of evil" with which we can't identify.  Really though, how different is my serving in a ministry so that I can get closer to and be known by the leadership than the Opportunistic Amalekite?  How much like the Power-Hungry Abner am I when I attempt to control my schedule and the people in it so that I feel more comfortable and satisfied?  What sets me apart from Vengeful Joab when I slip a little information about or question someone's character who has rubbed me the wrong way?  Maybe I identify much more with these guys in the story than I do with David.

Jesus laid it out clearly that apart from Him, I cannot live in this New Way:
  • Instead of looking for opportunities -  Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it...When you help someone out, don't think about how it looks.  Just do it - quietly and unobtrusively.  Matthew 6:1-4 (Msg)
  • Instead of reaching for power - This is the Great Reversal:  many of the first ending up last, and the last first. Matthew 19:30 (Msg)
  • Instead of seeking vengeance - I'm telling you that anyone who is so much as angry with a brother or sister is guilty of murder.  Carelessly call a brother 'idiot!' and you just might find yourself hauled into court.  Thoughtlessly yell 'stupid!' at a sister and you are on the brink of hellfire.  The simple moral fact is that words kill.  Matthew 5:21-22 (Msg)
But in Him, there is a New Way to Live:
Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions.  Don't worry about missing out.  You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.  Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow.  God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes.   Matthew 6:33-34 (Msg)

2 comments:

Cici said...

The chaos in these chapters is incredible. Definitely a lesson in what happens when we take matters into our own hands. I'm still somewhat surprised by David's self-control to not grab the throne that is rightfully his.

"David didn't lift a finger to take over Saul's throne...In contrast to all the killing going on around him in attempts to grab power, David didn't kill anyone who was considered a rival. But reading attentively, we realize that he wasn't presented as too good to be true. He was very much a product of his times. The underlying plot that gives structure to this narrative isn't David's innocence but God's providence. For God's sovereignty, not human ingenuity, was behind David's rise to power. And it's behind ours as well." Eugene Peterson

A good reminder for me today.

Stacey said...

Staci, your post left me stirred up in thought as I re-examined my inital reactions to the chapters today. It was so easy to see the horrible character flaws in each of the men (The Opportunist, the Power-Hungry, and the Vengeful); I mean, so easy that I saw nothing of myself in them.
Thanks for bringing that home a bit for me. What's that about seeing a plank in someone else's eye without first removing the log in my own??! ;-)