When circumstances looked dire for Saul, with the Philistines troops mustered against him, Saul prayed to God, but the Lord didn't answer. So Saul took matters into his own hands. He consulted the witch at Endor, even though knew that was strictly forbidden by God. (28:3, Leviticus 19:31, Deuteronomy 18:9-12)
Yet when circumstances looked equally dire for David, with his entire family captured by the Amalekites and his troops turning on him, David strengthened himself with trust in his God..."Bring me the Ephod so I can consult God." (30:6-7)
"It's a sad chapter in the life of Saul. He was desperate, but not for God. He longed for revelation, but not from God. He fell on his face, but not before God. And it shows us that even though we have the anointing of God, our hearts can be far from him." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 438And twice in preceding chapters, David had the opportunity to take Saul's life - in the cave and in the encampment - but out of reverence for God, and for God's anointed, didn't kill Saul. Ironically, Saul didn't have a similar reverence for God's anointed, even when it was his own life!
The battle was hot and heavy around Saul. The archers got his range and wounded him badly. Saul said to his weapon bearer, "Draw your sword and put me out of my misery, lest these pagan pigs come and make a game out of killing me." But his weapon bearer wouldn't do it. He was terrified. So Saul took the sword himself and fell on it. (31:3-4)Saul died as he lived much of his life - dishonorably. Yet David had always treated Saul honorably because of his position as king, as God's anointed.
David's example is profound. Left to my own devices, I'll treat others as they treat me. My version of 'an eye for an eye,' I guess. But that's not the godly example I witness in Scripture, from Moses to David to Jesus. It's not about how they've been treated by others; it's about how they've experienced the Lord and been treated by Him.
"I'm aware that things go wrong in your life, that family and friends don't always treat you well, that nothing goes exactly as you want it to. I grieve with you over the pain that life causes you. But our priorities differ. You ask what will work to make your life better, to correct the injustice you suffer, to see to it that more things go as they should in your life. I want you to ask what holiness would look like in your situation, whatever it is; holiness that might not right the wrongs you suffer but that would let us enjoy each other." 66 LLAs I examine my own life and circumstances, I'm left with the question, "What is holy in my situation that will please the Lord?" Even as my ugly sin is leaking out all over the place these days, that question has captured my heart. I often don't know the answer, but I'm trusting that's one more piece of the puzzle. And I'm hopeful that God will reveal more of the pieces as I continue on this journey through the remaining 57 love letters.
"It takes a long time to understand that I am not here for you, but that you are here for Me. It takes even longer to enjoy that arrangement. Come to me in My letters with all your frustrations, hopes and questions, but do not come expecting that I will advise you on best to accomplish your agendas. I have a far better plan." 66 LLAs we close the book of 1 Samuel, what's God been saying to your heart through the lives of Hannah, Samuel, Saul, and/or David?
3 comments:
Cici, like you, my sin has been leaking out all over the place these days. (Love that description, by the way!)
But 1 Samuel has been an encouragement to me - a reminder that God is focused on our holiness, not our happiness. That doesn't sound great...but when I accept that perspective, the struggles and hardships that come my way don't seem so bad. I realize I should WELCOME them, acknowledging that I am being made more like Jesus in the midst of hardship.
It's a change of perspective. David's life is such an encouragement to me. He remained faithful, even when being hunted down by Saul and his men, and later returning to his city where his wives and children have been taken captive. Talk about painful, hard stuff! Yet he didn't turn from God, he didn't get angry, he cried out in desperation, seeking the Lord's direction.
I want to follow David's example! And whatever comes my way, I want to look for the lessons on holiness that God is teaching me!
Me too! I want to follow David's example too! I'm encouraged to see how David is compared to Jesus and like Him but not perfect. I want to follow God in the same ways that David follows God, always running to Him and clinging fast to Him. Choosing Him first. The more I see how unholy I am, the more that I desperately need the HOPE of Jesus, the more that I'm thankful for Jesus and the more that I'm thankful for getting to know our Holy God. I'm also experiencing more about how God is a great God- in His character and how this is just so worthy of praise in itself. It's so different from the amazing things He promises and makes happen, and this really shows me the difference between praising our God for who He is and thanking Him for the things He does.
I've been so encouraged by how David truly knew that God was for him BUT at the same time knew that David was FOR God. I want to rest in knowing that God is for me, but that I am FOR God. I am looking more forward to the ways that God will continue to make me more holy in the midst of wildernesses and running to Him. Excited for 2 Samuel! :)
I think Saul was desperate for answers and went to God. He started there first and when God didn't answer, he pursued his own methods (witches, the dead, etc.) How often do I do this? I need to "wait upon the Lord" more often. Luckily, unlike Saul, I have the bible and can go there anytime. I can cling to those promises and meditate on them.
Something that has been an encouragment to me the past couple of days has been the verse in Psalms 1:1-3 "He is like a tree planted by streams of water which yields fruit in season and whose leavf does not wither". This has struck me as I continue to feel God impressing on me to "enjoy my relationships, slow down". I want to see fruit too quickly in myself as well as in others (kids and husband). The curse of Eve here... But this verse reminds me that even though there may not be fruit showing, check out the leaves. If the leaves are not withering, then the plant is indeed growing. Don't rush progress. This also is great imagery for me as I'm attempting a garden for the first time in years and every morning I go out to see if there is any growth. What a good time it is to know the Lord and rest in Him. Ahhh, so good! Enjoy the day God has made!
Post a Comment