Followers

Thursday, April 21, 2011

April 21 - 2 Kings 1-3: Your Life Repeated

Elijah, the "irritating misfit," is exiting stage left as we begin 2 Kings.  Actually, he was exiting "in a whirlwind to heaven."  Elijah mostly lived in exile, dependent on God's provision through others, often threatened, and rarely appreciated.  Yet, Elisha still wanted to be like him.  In the midst of a divided kingdom and evil kings, God's plan was moving forward.  His story of love and redemption was continuing.
Elijah said to Elisha, "What can I do for you before I'm taken from you?  Ask anything."
Elisha said, "Your life repeated in my life.  I want to be a holy man just like you."
"That's a hard one!" said Elijah. "But if you're watching when I'm taken from you, you'll get what you've asked for. But only if you're watching." (2:9-10)
Powerful words because what is it that, in the Spirit, I really want?  The life of Christ lived out in me.  My life reflecting His life.  His life repeated in me. But, that life seems so far out there, so beyond anything I can do, so unattainable.
Christ's life showed me how, and enabled me to do it.  I identified myself completely with him.  Indeed, I have been crucified with Christ. My ego is no longer central.  It is no longer important that I appear righteous before you or have your good opinion, and I am no longer driven to impress God.  Christ lives in me.  The life you see me living is not "mine," but it is lived by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.  Gal. 2:20 (Msg)
"Evil is real, and it is in you." (66LL) and that is very apparent to me today.  I am not capable of living like Christ.  He enables me to live a life that is not mine.  He lives in me.  Like Elisha, I must be watchful.
But you - keep your eye on what you're doing; accept the hard times along with the good; keep the Message alive; do a thorough job as God's servant.  2 Timothy 4:4 (Msg)

3 comments:

Cici said...

Three times, Elijah told Elisha to "stay here" while God sent him on an errand. And three times, Elisha's response was "Not on your life!" After that, Elijah asked him what he wanted and told him, "But only if you're watching." Was it a test?? Seems like it to me.

It's interesting to me that Elijah is only the second person named in the Bible who didn't die like the rest of us, simply disappeared. (Enoch - Genesis 5) I wonder why. Abraham died. Moses died. David died. Why not Elijah?

Amanda McKinley said...

Okay, this is probably inappropriate, but I couldn't help giggle when I read the end of Ch 2, when a bunch of "kids" were cursing Elisha, calling him "baldhead" and "skinhead", then Elisha took one look at them, cursed them in the name of God, and two bears charged out of the underbrush and mauled them.

Moral of the story? Don't mess with God's prophets. Holy cow!

On another random note, I really wish I could've seen the chariots and horses of fire hauling past, picking up Elijah and whisking him off to heaven. How cool would that be???

Cici said...

I agree with you, Amanda. That story about the kids and bears was kind of funny in a very weird way. I still don't know what to make of it. 42 kids. Wow.