Ahab answered Elijah, "My enemy! So, you've run me down!" (21:20)
Then the king of Israel turned to Jehoshaphat, "See! What did I tell you? He never has a good word fro me from God, only doom." (22:18)I don't think he meant to be funny. Those were his honest reactions to the truth of God that these prophets were speaking. He just didn't want to hear it.
"Elijah was the best enemy Ahab ever had - enemy to his evil acts, but friend to his moral destiny. The value of such a person can be seen in verses 22:27-29. Because of Elijah's words, Ahab repented, averting certain doom.
Each of us could use such an enemy in our own lives, a person who at the same time fights against the worst in us and for the best in us." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 526.I'm reminded of friends who tell me the truth about myself, whether I want to hear it or not. I'm also reminded of the "friends" who stood on the sidelines while I dove head-first into major sin. Their advice was "don't get hurt." In the moment, I didn't want to hear God's truth about myself and my actions, but in the long run, those were the words that kept replaying in my mind as I was convicted of sin.
That's a vivid example for me from my past, but it's just as true for me today. Sometimes the "best enemy," as Peterson describes it, is far more valuable than the fun friend.
- Am I allowing God and God's people to speak His truth into my life?
- Am I humble enough to confess my sins to trusted friends? Do I value that?
- Even when I don't like what friends tell me, do I take it before the Lord, asking Him to sift out the truth from the error?
- Do I allow people to fight against the worst in me, and for the best in me?
- Am I willing to hear truth that may be contrary to how I view myself?
- Have I ever repented because of hard truth a friend has spoken to me?
Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses. Proverbs 27:6
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. James 5:16
Iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17
He who conceals his sins does not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them finds mercy. Proverbs 28:13{One disclaimer - while it's good and right to have godly confidantes, I have also had other "friends" who spoke their truth to me, blaming me for things that were their issues, not mine. It's important to be able to discern the difference. And that's why God's Word, a vibrant prayer life, and godly, emotionally healthy friends are vital to my walk with the Lord.}
******************************************************
Amazing to think that we're almost a third of the way through the Bible! Eleven love letters down and 55 to go.
As we finish up 1 Kings - "the relentless exposition of failure" - what is God doing in your heart? How is He speaking to you through the lives of the kings of Israel and Judah?
No comments:
Post a Comment