The words that seem significant to me are inheritance, boundary, lot, portion. In God's sovereignty, He was setting the places for these tribes to settle in the Promised Land. Different terrains, different enemies to take out, different skills and labor needed to make each inherited lot livable and productive. But, each territory selected and given by God. (Or in the Levites case, withheld by God for a greater purpose.)
"Different" is something I do experience. My friends and family are all different in many ways. We each have different abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Different personalities, work and income levels. Different callings, visions, and convictions. Different number and genders of children. Different educations, experiences, and priorities. Most of the time, I enjoy these differences. But there are plenty of times when I view these differences with eyes of envy and feelings of entitlement.
So, in these differences do I look for God to make it all equitable (at least in my eyes)? Do I expect Him to even the playing field so that I can experience the same kinds of blessings as those around me? Or, do I lean into God's sovereignty knowing that,
You, O Lord, are the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You maintain my lot. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places. Yes, I have a good inheritance. Psalm 16:5-6, NKJVI wish I could say that I lean into this verse, but I feel like I identify with the Israelites in many ways - comparing and grumbling in my spirit that so-and-so got a bigger portion or a better lot. And I need to call it what it is - blaspheming the sovereign God who gave me this life, this lot, these boundaries. Father, help me not to miss that my true inheritance is not what I have, but Who.
God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is and we know who we are: Father and children. And we know we are going to get what's coming to us -- an unbelievable inheritance! We go through exactly what Christ goes through. If we go through the hard times with him, then we're certainly going to go through the good times with him! Romans 8:15-16, Msg
3 comments:
Thanks for the post, Staci. I am convicted at the fact that I am an questioning, comparing grumbler; and that's not acceptable to a Holy and Sovreign God.
"Yes I have a good inheritance"! This Psalm - and the passage from Romans 8 - shall be my battle cry as I fight.
Forgive me, Father, for where I have questioned or doubted or complained about what You've graciously and abundantly given me. Lord, please give me clean hands and a clean heart in Your sight.
Amen!
Love this prayer and cry out...
Father, help me not to miss that my true inheritance is not what I have, but Who.
Help us Lord, to trust You with open hands knowing that we dont have to worry about our blessings but that You are enough. And on top of that- You choose to bless us! You are so Good, God. Help me to trust You with all of who I am, Father- to love You with all that I've got and that You've made me.
Our God is stronger! Our God is greater! God, You are higher than any other! Our God is awesome in power! Into the darkness you shine, out of the ashes we rise! There is NONE like You, God. Worshipping our great God today! And if our God is for us, who could ever stand against us? Who could ever stop us?
Praise the Lord ! I am going to set out to memorize Ps 16:5-6. Thanks Staci for pulling out that verse along with your comments.
Post a Comment