As I read about the tribal boundaries for Reuben, Gad, Manasseh, and Judah, two verses jumped out at me:
The people of Israel never did drive out the Geshurites and the Maacathites - they're still there, living in Israel. (13:13) - east of the Jordan
The people of Israel couldn't get rid of the Jebusites who lived in Jerusalem. The Jebusites stayed put, living alongside the people of Judah. They are still living there in Jerusalem. (15:63) - JudahI'm reminded of what Moses told the People of Israel not too long before this time:
When God, your God, brings you into the country that you are about to enter and take over, he will clear out the superpowers that were there before you: the Hittite, the Girgashite, the Amorite, the Canaanite, the Perizzite, the Hivite, and the Jebusite...You must completely destroy them, offering them up as a holy destruction to God. Don't make a treaty with them. Don't let them off in any way...Do this because you are a people set apart as holy to God, your God...You'll make mincemeat of all the peoples that God, your God, hands over to you. Don't feel sorry for them. And don't worship their gods - they'll trap you for sure...So don't be intimidated by them. God, your God, is among you - God majestic, God awesome. (Deuteronomy 7:1-21)I don't think God could have been more clear! He even named the Jebusites! You must completely destroy them. Don't let them off in any way. We know that God is faithful and trustworthy. God promised that He would do his part, but the Israelites couldn't get rid of the Jebusites and never did drive out the Geshurites and Maacathites. Hmmm. Why not?
Regardless of the reason, we're watching the Israelites sow the seeds of their own destruction. Moses had explained the consequences - blessings and curses - for obedience and disobedience, yet the Israelites continue their pattern of partial obedience (read: disobedience) into the Promised Land. They'll reap what they have sown in these little acts of disobedience. The remainder of the Old Testament tells the story of the catastrophic consequences.
It makes me wonder where I'm sowing seeds of my own downfall. Where am I failing to trust God? Where am I choosing to go my own way, to depend on myself instead of God? Where am I ignoring or sabotaging what God's trying to do in my life? Where is my sin (pride, selfishness, and anger, to name a few) affecting my relationship with God, my husband, children, and family and friends?
Don't be misled: No makes a fool of God. What a person plants, he will harvest. The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others - ignoring God! - harvests a crop of weeds. All he'll have to show for his life is weeds! But the one who plants in response to God, letting God's Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life. (Galatians 6:7-8)
3 comments:
So true! Evidence of my acts of "partial obedience" catch back up with me in one way, shape, or form. In Deut, God gave the Israelites the reason - don't worship their gods; they'll trap you - and yet, the destruction doesn't happen. How often do I regard what God's told me to do with, "thanks, but no thanks. I'm good without doing that."
Oh, Lord, that I would recognize these responses in myself and change them to "Yes, Lord!"
Wow...very convicting question, Cici. What are the seeds I'm sowing that will bite me in the BOOTY later? (Okay, you didn't say booty, but I did). YIKES!
When God calls us to be set apart, he means in EVERY area of our life. I pray that the Lord would reveal to me (and to all of us!) the areas of our lives where we aren't holy, where He needs to intervene and do some cleaning out!
One other thought - I loved the brief, but interesting mention of Caleb - that Joshua described him as a man "totally for God" and someone who "gave himself totally to God." Because of this, Caleb had the boldness to ask big, asking for a specific portion of land for his inheritance.
I want to be like Caleb, being "totally for God" and therefore, being bold enough to ask for big things!
Thanks Cici! I'm going to ask myself that today. What seeds am i sowing? So many times I think that my partial obedience is obedience. But its so clear throughout the Word that its not. It's simply disobedience. I pray that meditating on this and His Word will change my heart. (Joshua 1:8)
And Amanda! I loved reading about Caleb too! I kept writing in my Bible "he asked for it!" ... "asked first" ... I'm reminded of a sermon I just listened to this weekend about prayer and how prayer is "layers of blessings" because the more we pray for things, the more we see the blessings of God. If we remain in Him and His words remain in us, we can ask whatever we wish and it will be given. (John 15:7) I, too, want to come boldly before God and ask for big things, ask Him to move throughout the nations, and especially trusting Him as I ask Him to move in the hearts of my friends lives to come to know Him!
if you have time: great sermon on prayer! praise God! http://onnurienglish.podomatic.com/player/web/2011-01-03T07_40_00-08_00
Post a Comment