Followers

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

March 16 - Joshua 19-21: Not One Word Failed

Amid details of land divisions and assignments of asylum cities and Levite cities, my mind keeps coming back to the incredible faithfulness of our God.
And so God gave Israel the entire land that he had solemnly vowed to give to their ancestors. They took possession of it and made themselves at home in it. And God gave them rest on all sides, as he had also solemnly vowed to their ancestors. Not a single one of their enemies was able to stand up to them - God handed over all their enemies to them.
Not one word failed from all the good works God spoke to the house of Israel. Everything came out right. (21:43-45)
God remained faithful to His promises and His plan. Despite the less-than-stellar behavior of the Israelites from Egypt to the Promised Land, not one word failed. Amazing.
"God's faithfulness means that each attribute of His character is working at full capacity at all times. When does God's love fail? Never, because He is faithful. When is God less than holy? Never, because His character is pure and He is always faithful to who He is and what He says. Therefore, you can count on Him to keep His promises and carry out His purposes...His faithfulness ensures that every attribute [of God's character] is available to us." Bill Bright, God: Discover His Character
So today, as I (try to) absorb Israelite real estate details, I praise my Beautiful God for His faithfulness that endures forever.
God's loyal love couldn't have run out, his merciful love couldn't have dried up. They're created new every morning. How great your faithfulness!  (Jeremiah 3:22-23)
Join me in singing this hymn today (okay, virtually singing!) - a sweet reminder of the reliability and trustworthiness of our Father in heaven. I can't think of anything better to meditate on this morning!

Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father, 
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not; 
As Thou has been Thou forever wilt be.

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness! 
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon, and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness! 
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness! 
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!

3 comments:

Amanda McKinley said...

Gosh, I love that hymn, Cici. Thanks for sharing that.

I am OH so thankful that God is faithful, even when I am not. I just think of how fickle and emotional and easily swayed by the rush of the world around me. I praise God that He is "the same, yesterday, today and forever."

Imagine if we worshipped a god, like many cultures and religions bow down to, that was fickle and whimsical in his decisions and judgments. Imagine if we had to worry whether we were ever "good enough" (praise God that we are NEVER good enough, only because of Jesus!). Imagine if we believed certain bad things that happened to us were a form of punishment from our vengeful god. Oh goodness.

Instead, we have a god who is Faithful, Just, Merciful, Righteous, Holy - Set Apart - yet came down to us in the form of Jesus to die for us and reconcile us to Himself. Praise the Lord that we have a god that is FAITHFUL to His character!

Staci said...

That beautiful hymn was sung at our wedding. Interesting since this week is our wedding anniversary and we're struggling through relational patterns of sin and selfishness that have done damage through the years. Reminds me that it's not about my faithfulness in this marriage, but about His faithfulness to us. He really has provided all that we need, in every way.

Christina said...

Wow. He really is SO faithful. I just can't over it. :) We love and know and serve such a FAITHFUL God!

I loved thinking about how His faithfulness shows up in everything else too, His love, His holiness, everything. He's in faithful in all things. Today I was really convicted by the Spirit of just wanting to be in control of things, to an extent where I thought I was in more control of things than God. I was humbled and it didnt feel so good, but I KNOW that God is truly faithful in sanctifying us and doing good things for us. He is FOR US. What an amazing great faithful God. Praising Him!! Thanks Cici and Staci, for letting me be a part of this and helping me in community to allow Him to stir my heart for Him! :) so thankful!