It will be a set-right and put-together life for us if we make sure that we do this entire commandment in the Presence of God, our God, just as he commanded us to do. (6:25)It's very tempting to read this and think that it's an if-then statement. If I obey God's commands, then He will give me a put together life. Do this, get that. It's so enticing because in my flesh, that's what I really want -- my life to go well, my family to do well, my image to be polished, my home and wardrobe to be put together. And honestly, at this stage of life - 40s, married 19 yrs, 3 teen/pre-teen kids, many dreams set aside, looks and health headed downhill, wrestling with ongoing sin patterns - it's easy to get caught up in all the ways I'm not measuring up, not a success. When my eyes are on myself and my circumstances, it's easy to feel hopeless, stuck.
God wasn't attracted to you and didn't choose you because you were big and important -- the fact is, there was almost nothing to you. (7:7)Hmmm, that doesn't help much either. Not really an uplifting, feel-good statement to meet my emotional "needs" at the moment. But, it is the truth. There is nothing in me or about me that merits God's favor. Hard news for an overachiever to swallow.
The rest of the truth surrounds this verse:
...you are a people set apart as holy to God, your God, God, your God, chose you out of all the people on Earth for himself as a cherished, personal treasure....He did it out of sheer love. (7:6, 8)
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. I Peter 2:9 (NIV)I cannot "do the entire commandment" (6:25) so that I can have a put-together life. I've already messed up too many times. But, God has chosen me anyway. His special possession. Called out of my darkness and into His wondrous light. That is the gospel, the good news, the truth and what spurs me to love God with my whole heart, with all that's in me, with all I've got (6:5).
"Read Deuteronomy and realize that no one can please me unless I put the life of My Son, who always pleases Me, into their hearts. And that's what I promised to do. That's what I have done. I'm faithful to faithless people. Believe that, and know that now you can be faithful to Me, not perfectly, but you can learn to live in rhythm with My Son, a little more gracefully each day." (66LL, 20)
5 comments:
Amen, Preach it Sistah! oh sorry Staci i got caught up in the moment... beautifully said. Thank you for sharing your heart and what i know most of us are feeling as well as we stumble through life together. but most importantly reminding us how amazing and precious we our to God, our God! i love knowing and need to know He chose me anyway.
I agree! I read that "set-right and put-together life" statement and thought, "Yeah, right! That's not my experience, God!" I liked the way you said it, Shannon. I feel like I'm stumbling through life too.
Thanks for reminding me of the hope I have in Jesus because I CAN'T live these rules and regulations obediently. Far too late for that on my part!
7:21 also stood out to me today. God, your God, is among you - God majestic, God awesome.
Read a couple of quotes this morning that go along with our theme of being nothing today.
"God created the world out of nothing, and as long as we are nothing, He can make something out of us."(Martin Luther)
"How much larger your life would be if your self could become smaller in it!" (G. K. Chesterton)
Guess I should clue into God's voice today.
He chose us. We are His treasured possession. 7:6
It's such a good reminder. But I often wonder why sometimes it doesn't feel like it's enough. I think about "people-pleasing" vs. "people-loving" a lot. And when I am seeking to please others or receive their approval, I just don't get it. I don't get why our awesome majestic God's love just isnt enough. Because I know it is, I just don't feel it is. Lord, You have chosen me. You know I'm imperfect and always look to other things to fill me with love when I know that You already do that. Help me to know Your love today in a supernatural way. Help me to believe Your words and walk forward in this faith and confidence. So that others opinions, words and actions would not shake my identity as Your treasured possession. I desire You, God. You. Love, Your daughter
Along with our daily readings, I have also been involved in BSF studying Isaiah. I have been so amazed at how the readings of Israel in the wilderness and Israel down the road are so connected in what I am learning.
Yes, as you know..Israel continues to fail. BUT....God continues to be faithful, continues to forgive, and to persevere with His chosen people in patience. ....why does He do this? Not because they (nor us) deserve it, but For His name sake. He alone is God and there is none like Him.
Staci, I love the Martin Luther quote. All through Isaiah God reminds us that he created the earth and the heavens and He is the same God (Is 45:12, Isaiah 48:13)
Isaiah 48:17-18 - "I am God, your God,
who teaches you how to live right and well.
I show you what to do, where to go.
If you had listened all along to what I told you,
your life would have flowed full like a river,
blessings rolling in like waves from the sea" Msg
Post a Comment