Moses repeats himself quite a bit in these chapters. He wants what he's preaching to stick with them when he's gone, so he keeps telling them:
- Listen carefully (4:1)
- Pay attention (4:5)
- Stay alert (4:9)
- Keep close watch (4:9)
- Don't forget anything (4:9)
- Stay vigilant (4:9)
- Remember that (4:15)
- So stay alert (4:23)
- Don't for a minute forget (4:23)
Bottom line, what does Moses want the Israelites to remember?
Know this well, then. Take it to heart right now. God is in Heaven above; God is on Earth below. He's the only God there is. Obediently live by his rules and commands which I'm giving you today so that you'll live well and your children after you - oh you'll live a long time in the land that God, your God, is giving you. (4:29-30)I wonder what the people were thinking as they heard their story again. Were they amazed at all that God had done for them? Were they ashamed of their sin and rebellion? Were they frightened by the consequences that Moses laid out? Did they resolve to do better or just feel like it was all too hard?
"One of the consequences of disobedience is the feeling of defeat and failure. For as long as we're dominated by a guilty conscience, faced with the long record of our moral failures, we're stuck in the past. The strategy of Deuteronomy was to get the people's minds off the story of their regrettable acts and onto the story of God's redemptive acts.
'Listen carefully to the rules and regulations,' Moses exhorted the people. (4:1) God isn't interested in your past sins. And He wants you to stop being interested in them. Get interested in God. The really breathtaking narrative is about the ways in which his grace works in you; the really intriguing plot that will keep you on the edge of your seat is the story of salvation. Specifically, your salvation. Pay attention to that. The God who has saved you has entered into a covenant with you. (4:23-24) He doesn't want robots; he wants relationship. And in that relationship, he wants to show you how to live in the land (4:5) with the emphasis on the word live. Not to exist. Not to survive. But to live. Fully, deeply, exuberantly." Eugene Peterson, Conversations, pg. 258Lord, I confess that I'm usually more concerned about myself and what I've done (or not done) than about You. And while I'm at it, I confess that I can get bored with the repetition in these books. I often feel like skimming, thinking "yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember that from before."
But I'm convicted that I do need to listen to You more carefully, stay alert and not let my heart wander off. I feel like it's a battle in my heart everyday to stay fully engaged with You, and I often end up on the losing side. Even though I'm not always faithful, I'm grateful that You're fighting for me (3:22) and that You're jealous for my affections. (4:24) I love those truths. And I'm very thankful that You're repeating Yourself because I realize it helps You sink more deeply into my heart and mind. I truly want to know You more.
Lord, may You continue to draw me near and reveal Your heart to me, and may I not retreat from You when I don't understand how You work or settle for a shallow relationship because I prioritize others ahead of You. I pray that I will learn how to live in the land You're giving me - fully, deeply, exuberantly.
5 comments:
On a separate note, I was happy to read in chapter 3 that Moses begged God to reconsider his decision to not let him in the Promised Land. Moses respectfully appealed God's decision because he wanted "in also o the endings" not just the beginnings.
Although the answer was still no, it makes Moses seem more human to me that he at least asked the question. I also have tons of respect for him that he accepted the answer and continued to faithfully serve God and his people.
Yikes! Guess I spoke too soon last week about Moses not making a plea to go into the Promised Land. Interesting how God says no to Moses and doesn't indulge him in any further arguments or explanations. "Enough of that. Not another word from you on this." (3:26)
I think there is an area of my life that I keep asking God for something I want, even think I need and He keeps saying no. Not because He's withholding anything good from me, but because He wants me to want Him more, to desire Him alone. I'm not there yet.
Cici, I read your post and I am totally there with you. I desire to be more focused on Him throughout the day. You mentioned many other things of which now my old mind can't recall them. I will have to go back...but as I read them I'm saying, Yeah, me too God. That's my prayer as well. Thanks for sharing!
Cici, I agree about Moses! I was reading and was like oh no, is that some bitterness coming out? But then I realized, whatever it was, I am thankful it was included. Feel so purposeful to showing me how no one is perfect. Not even Moses. Yet, he can still be an example to me of someone who loves God and faithfully follows Him no matter what. I wonder what he was feeling after God said That's enough. For me, i often struggle with continuing to move forward in obedience when my emotions haven't caught up yet.
AND also my favorite verse is in this reading! 4:29 If you seek the Lord your God, you will find him if you seek Him with all your heart and soul. what is this verse in the msg? I remember reading the Father's love letter before I was a Christian and doubting this. But then I realized I wasn't seeking with my whole heart yet as well. And God showed me it was a true verse. :) He's so great, isn't He?!
Christina - 4:29 in the Message is "But even there, if you seek God, you God, you'll be able to find him if you're serious, looking for him with your whole heart and soul."
Reminds me of Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
Post a Comment