What a family! A passive father (Isaac), a calculating mother (Rebekah) who plays favorites, an angry son (Esau) who seems to not care about his birthright, and a scheming son (Jacob) who will lie, cheat and steal to get his way. In these chapters, we also see Laban trick Jacob into marrying Leah instead of Rachel and Esau marry a Canaanite as a show of contempt against his father. Wow.
"Read the story of Jacob and take heart: I can transform anyone into the likeness of My Son. But the process is never easy or short. It took nearly 150 years filled with terrible family problems to change Jacob into Israel, into a man who learned to trust Me in the struggles of life. But I got the job done. I always do." 66 LL
Our Merciful God, once again, keeps his promise to Abraham, despite the sinful behavior of everyone. He tells Jacob: "Your descendants will be as the dust of the Earth; they'll stretch from west to east and from north to south. All the families of the Earth will bless themselves in you and your descendants. Yes. I'll stay with you, I'll protect you wherever you go, and I'll bring you back to this very ground. I'll stick with you until I've done everything I promised you." (28:15)
Jacob's response was: "God is in this place - truly. And I didn't even know it! Incredible. Wonderful. Holy. This is God's House. This is the Gate of Heaven." (28:16-17)
It's easy for me to get lost in the story of this dysfunctional family, but I don't want to lose the most important message. HE will do everything He promised. It doesn't depend at all on me - a willful, sinful woman who defaults to her own way everyday.
Yes. He'll stay with me. He'll protect me wherever I go. He'll stick with me until He's done everything He's promised. I'm crying as I type this. I will never, ever comprehend the depth of God's love for me! But OH, HOW GRATEFUL I AM.
God is in this place (me!) - truly.
He is Incredible. Wonderful. Holy.
3 comments:
Gen. 28:15 continues with me: "I'll stay with you...I'll protect you...I'll bring you back...I'll stick with you." This God of Jacob is also my God. He says the same to me. How long will it take God to tranform Me into His likeness? And why do I want it, anyway? Do I hope it will make my life easier, more stable, more liked, less confused? God is in the process of stripping it all away so that all I want is Him, no strings attached.
This passage reminds me that despite dysfucntion and obedience, the Lord's will will be done; not mine. He can accomplish anything through anyone in any circumstance. That is both incredible and wonderful to me.
Cici, Love your Gen 28:16 title. HE is Incredible. Wonderful. Holy. And I am unholy. And the truth that He still pursues us even when I hate my suffering more than my sin is unbelievable. Jacob found God in a random place! God showed up. And it was a Beautiful God Who showed up for me this weekend in the midst of my mess! Incredible God!
Post a Comment