That event is a great picture for me of Gen. 26:24. God told Isaac, that he will bless him "because of Abraham my servant." Not because of what Isaac was doing, but because Abraham was "set-right-with-God" (Gen. 15:6). Reminds me of the ultimate invitation that we've been given, not because we've paid the club dues or earned a place or refrained from enough bad habits. Because of the name of Jesus we are welcomed into our Father's family.
"But it's not just Abraham; it's also us! The same thing gets said about us when we embrace and believe the One who brought Jesus to life when the conditions were equally hopeless. The sacrificed Jesus made us fit for God, set us right with God." Romans 4:24-25 (Msg)Isaac's response to God's words were to build an altar and pray, calling on God by name. (Gen. 26:25)
What is my response to Someone Else who paid my dues so that I could be welcomed into a place that I could not enter on my own name, merit, or reputation?
2 comments:
That is a great picture of what Jesus has done for us!
I came to Christ when I was 27 years old, and for the first year after that, I cried in church every Sunday. It was kind of embarrassing, but I was overwhelmed by the fact that God had forgiven me and had welcomed me into His family. I had done nothing to deserve it; in fact, I'd done PLENTY to not deserve it! His grace was completely overwhelming!
I don't usually cry in church these days, but I am still overwhelmed by the One who has paid the penalty for me. I am grateful beyond words, and my only appropriate response is worship. Because of Him, I am motivated to live a life worthy of His calling. Not out of guilt or compulsion but because I love Him so much and am eternally grateful for His love and grace.
I fall short of perfection ALL of the time, but my desire is to give God control of my life each and every day, so that He can live His life in and through me.
Amen. True gratefulness. I'm also reading a devotional called Comforts of the Cross, Elyse Fitzpatrick and it's helping me to celebrate the Gospel each day. I need to celebrate it everyday, that Jesus died for ME! Or else I forget and I think I'm good enough again. Isn't that crazy? How we just forget and take our eyes off of Him so easily. And WHAT He did for us?!
Praying for a more grateful heart and gospel centered life! <3 Love You Jesus. Thank YOU for dying for US because on our own, we just could never make it to be clean and Holy- only because of You are we seen this way!
Post a Comment