Don't worship any other god. God - his name is The-Jealous-One - is a jealous God. Be careful that you don't make a covenant with people who live in the land and take up with their sex-and-religion life, join them in meals at their altars, marry your sons to their women, women who take up with any convenient god or goddess and will get your sons to do the same thing. (34:13-16)I recently saw a video clip of Oprah Winfrey explaining why she has turned her back on the Christian faith in which she was raised and is advocating other paths to God. She talked about hearing a sermon in which God was described as omnipresent and omniscient and also as a jealous God. She thought, "God is jealous of ME??" She says that didn't sit well with her, and that was when she began her search for "something more than doctrine" which has lead her down a New Age path.
It seems pretty clear to me from the context of the verses that the definition of jealous is intolerant of unfaithfulness or rivalry, not resentful of another's success, advantage, or rivalry. I believe that Oprah's interpretation is just flat-out wrong.
Psalm 78:58 makes it even more clear: They angered him with their high places; they aroused his jealousy with their idols.
So what does it mean for me that God is jealous?
Plain and simple - He doesn't want me to worship other gods. It's sin. My pet idols - financial security, being successful in whatever I do, looking like I have my act together, feeling useful, my sweet husband, obedient children - may be "good things" by the world's standards, but I know my motives are impure when I put these things before God. I'm looking to fill a void inside of me with an emotion rather than with an intimate relationship with my Lord. But He's asking me to trust Him with all of me - my desires, fears, thoughts, disappointments, everything.
In the midst of the Israelites' whining, complaining, and overall ingratitude, I'm beginning to see that God is serious about accomplishing His plan. "I will do whatever it takes to carry out My plan!" 66 LL
"I didn't create you to be miserable or empty. My plan was, is, and always will be that you would share My joy. But you got yourself in such bad shape, so far away from Me, that you had no hope of real happiness. I couldn't bear to leave you in that condition.
So I revealed My power by setting you free, My holiness by letting you know how you must live to stay close to Me, and My passionate love by moving in with you. All of that is in Exodus." 66 LLWow.
4 comments:
Cici - you may laugh, but that is the VERY same reference I thought of when I read about God being jealous! I remember how disgusted her facial expression was. However, it was a great representation of the world and all its wisdome and how they see God.
"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God." 1Cor 1:18 (NIV)
On another note, I am still amazed at how close Moses is with God, and how much he'll question and beg Him. Their relationship was obviously deep and personal. May I spend so much time in the presence of God that I can say that about mine.
I've been baffled by Oprah's "jealous God" response as well. It reveals more about her than about God. The idea that God is not jealous OF me, but jealous FOR me: my affections, my heart, my attention. Yet, it's not a greedy possessiveness, but He really desires me that much.
I've been noticing over the past several readings how when God is angry with the people her refers to them as "Your people", "You brought up from the land of Egypt" (today also in Ex 33:1) Ouch, I don't want to be referred to as someone's other than God's. Ex 33:13 - Moses reminds God "this is your people, your responsibility".
Ex 34:8-9 At once, Moses fell to the ground & worshipped, saying, "Please, O Master, if you see anything good in me, please Master, travel with us, hard-headed as these people are. Forgive our iniquity and sin. OWN US, POSSESS US".
God owns me because he bought me with the precious atoning blood of his Son, Jesus Christ. But do I truly let Him possess me ? Daily ? A reminder of my need to die to self every day !
Another thought from today... Exodus 34:28 "Moses was there with God 40 days & 40 nights. He didn't eat any food; he didn't drink any water..." I thought about how being in the presence of God, Moses mind must have been truly focused and steadfast on almighty God. He probably didn't even realize his hunger or thirst. Or...better yet God fulfilled all Moses needs. And all of our needs! He takes care of our needs, He alone is more than sufficient!
Tressa, love the words you pointed out, "Own us. Possess us." Can't say that I pray those on a daily basis. What a great reminder of Whose I am.
Post a Comment