This rebellion was remembered in Psalm 106,
They cast in metal a bull calf at HorebGod's response is huge. It's raw anger backed by a threat that you know He could keep. Moses reasons with God to relent on his anger. It reminds me of when Abraham blocked God's way and negotiated with Him for Sodom and Lot (Gen. 18). Moses reminds God of His promise and stands in the gap for the Israelites.
and worshiped the statue they'd made.
They traded the Glory
for a cheap piece of sculpture -- a grass-chewing bull!
They forgot God, their very own Savior,
who turned things around in Egypt,
Who created a world of wonders in the Land of Ham,
who gave that stunning performance at the Red Sea.
Fed up, God decided to get rid of them--
and except for Moses, his chosen, he would have.
But Moses stood in the gap and deflected God's anger,
prevented it from destroying them utterly.
Everyday, I trade the Glory of God for a "cheap piece of sculpture". I focus on what I want to make happen now instead of waiting for God's glory to be revealed. This action-oriented, I'll-take-care-of-it, something's-gotta-happen way of life is really just ungodliness, punishable by death. But instead Christ stood in the gap for me.
4 comments:
Interesting how Aaron minimizes his participation in the making of the golden calf. "They made me do it." Not exactly how the story went, Aaron. But I often do the same thing...minimize my sin and culpability, as if God doesn't know exactly what happened! I pray today that I won't prefer a cheap piece of sculpture to the Glory of God.
Yesterday, as I wrote the blog for today, I was trying to discern what my "cheap piece of sculpture" is. I felt lost in the details of life and couldn't discern what God was trying to say to me personally.
Today, I read something from "Shattered Dreams" by Larry Crabb that is helping me understand what I'm trading God's glory for:
"When we feel unhappy, we view that experience as the greatest crime ever committed. We are victims of a fickle world, an unresponsive God, a variety of insensitive people. Our chief aim is to feel better. It seems a righteous cause, a noble crusade. If we can make a few dreams come true that will help us feel better, we go to work. If we can engage in activities that directly create better feelings or, failing that, numb the troubling emotions, we do it...That is the way of the flesh.
"I shift from walking in the way of the flesh to walking in the way of the Spirit when the pain of life destroys my confidence in my ability to make life work and when it exposes as intolerable, insubordinate arrogance my demand to feel good. That is the experience of brokenness. It is then that the chains fall off my leg and the heavy ball rolls away. It is then that I fly."
Still chewing on this, but wanted to share.
For me, I see how "waiting upon the Lord" and not devising my own solution is so important in living and demonstrating a godly life to my friends and family. It took my husband five years to finally land work in Austin after much prayer. God did answer. I often tried to build my "own calf" come up with my own solution. God answered. He is good. I'm so glad.
Happy day to you.
Your "In No Time" caption captures my thoughts & heart, Exodus 32:8 & Psalm 106:3. They rebelled at the sea, the one where they walked on the water's floor. Makes me reflect on how Holy He is & I am not. I think my definition of sin is way too shallow. I see how He is changing me these past 4 years---no deliverance from pain/problems but deliverance from dark places that have so kept me hiding. I've been my worst enemy. I just know I'm not the same person I was yesterday. Falling Forward to better love. “His Secret Purpose framed from the very beginning to bring us all to our full glory.” I Cor 2:7 NEB
Post a Comment