And so much blood! Animal after animal after animal. Splattered on everything, it seems.
As an unbeliever, and even as a new believer, the Old Testament focus on animal sacrifices and blood was very creepy to me. I didn't understand it, and frankly, it seemed rather disgusting. Eventually, I learned that there was great meaning and purpose in the blood, Tent of Meeting, and sacrificial system.
This was the Holy Spirit's way of showing with a visible parable that as long as the large tent stands, people can't just walk in on God. Hebrews 9:8God said that all of these offerings in the Tent of Meeting were pleasing to him, a gift. (29:15, 25, 41) But thankfully, what we're reading is the old plan, just a hint of what was to come.
[Jesus] bypassed the old tent and its trappings in this created world and went straight into heaven's "tent" - the true Holy Place - once and for all. He also bypassed the sacrifices consisting of goat and calf blood, instead using his own blood as the price to set us free once and for all. Hebrews 9:11-12
The old plan was only a hint of the good things in the new plan. Since that old "law plan" wasn't complete in itself, it couldn't complete those who followed it. No matter ow many sacrifices were offered year after year, they never added up to a complete solution. If they had, the worshipers would have gone merrily on their way, no longer dragged down by their sins. But instead of removing the awareness of sin, when these animal sacrifices were repeated over and over they actually heightened awareness and guilt. The plain fact is that bull and goat blood can't get rid of sin. Hebrews 10:1-4
Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness. Hebrews 9:22
Christ made a single sacrifice for sins, and that was it! Then he sat down right beside God and waited for his enemies to cave in. It was a perfect sacrifice by a perfect person to perfect some very imperfect people. Hebrews 10: 12-14, 18Father, I pray that You use these chapters to heighten my awareness of sin, of how seriously You takes it, and of the significant cost paid so that I may be forgiven. Thank You for being willing to pay my ransom through Your death on the cross. Lord, give me the ability to truly weep over my sin instead of first noticing others' shortcomings. Give me the courage to deal honestly with You and with myself.
3 comments:
I must admit I am overwhelmed by all the details of these two chapters so when I got to the end of Ex 29, I had to stop and absorb.
I am God, your God.
I’m not sure how it all ties in to the chapter but it spoke to me… in a world where you can’t really stake your claim on much as much is fleeting – jobs, security, circumstances and even relationships…I can say with all certainty – God is my God. What a simple and anchoring truth for the day.
In addition to all the blood sacrifices in these chapters, I was also intrigued by the majestic details that went into the plans for constructing His Sanctuary. Things like the altar, the courtyard, the breastplate, the vestments of the priest were required to be majestic and beautiful.
Everything was to be constructed in solid gold, colorful gems, and woven with deep shades of purple. Rich, kingly, majestic colors and stones that speak of royalty.
I love that God, in giving these instructions, reminds us that He is the Ultimate King, He is the ultimate picture of royalty and that His very dwelling place reflects His majesty and glory.
For me, it is a glimpse of heaven. One day, we will get to worship in His royal courts, in His very presence, celebrating His Kingship without having to worry about blood sacrifices and our ugly sin which prevents us from fully experiencing and worshipping His majesty. How I long for that day!!!
Amanda and Dawn, I love what you're hearing God say about Himself in these bloody, gory chapters. And Cici, love the NT parallels. Gives deeper meaning and understanding to the sacrifices.
I got caught up on the priesthood of Aaron: "symbolize glory and beauty"; set apart as holy; carries Breastpiece of Judgment over his heart into the presence of God for remembrance; "He'll take on any guilt involved in the sacred offerings"; his priesthood is "upheld by law and permanent". Those details give deeper meaning to 1 Peter 2:4-10. We are a royal priesthood acceptable to God through Jesus Christ, declaring His praises, receiving His mercy.
Post a Comment