So, I went back to God's Word with the assumption that He included these chapters with the intent to demonstrate His love for me; that they were purposefully included, not a chapter that He forgot to edit out. Then, questions came to mind about the Holy Spirit being alive in Bezalel and giving him the skill, ability, know-how and ability to teach. And wonder about the abundance that God had provided to the Israelites for the construction of the Sanctuary, "Enough and more than enough." (36:7)
Mostly I thought about the creativity of God. We've already seen it in Genesis and we daily experience it in our own bodies and in the nature surrounding us. But, this is different -- this is His creativity in a man-made structure. He designed it, thought it up, instructed and provided, but ultimately it was His people He told to "start to work." (36:1) Similar to how He created us to live: His plans, His design, His creation, His provision, and our work through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. (I know that we mess up living in the Spirit -- we'll address that on another day!)
Now I'm overwhelmed with the imagination of God and the depth of these chapters. I can't wrap all of it into one condensed, coherent thought and that's probably good. Our creative God is mysterious and yet He can be found and has made Himself known through His love letters.
"You asked for a loving God: you have one...not a senile benevolence that drowsily wishes you to be happy in your own way, not the cold philanthropy of a conscientious magistrate, nor the care of a host who feels responsible for the comfort of his guests, but the consuming fire Himself, the Love that made the worlds, persistent as the artist's love for his work and despotic as a man's love for a dog, provident and venerable as a father's love for a child, jealous, inexorable, exacting as love between the sexes." (The Problem of Pain, C.S. Lewis)[This quote came from the book The Mind of the Maker by Dorothy L. Sayers. If any of you are creative, artistic types, I highly recommend this book about our creative, triune God.]
5 comments:
Stac - I didn't count out the days, I promise! haha But I've thought that myself on other days. "How did I end up with this random section?? What am I going to say about this??" :-) Loved what you had to say because I wasn't exactly inspired by all of the building details when I read the chapters.
On some level, I still find it amazing that God cares about things to this level of detail. I don't. Even when we were remodeling our house, my preferences were more general, and I trusted Harry to handle the details.
But as I read more, I find I'm learning to be grateful for God's exacting love.
Exodus 36:7 - Enough & more than enough, just beautiful! They walked the floor of the Red Sea holding hands. This beautiful grandeur, how'd they do it? Wonder how many of them, of us, are in the cleft of His Rock whatever that means. Exo 33:14 My Presence will go with you & I'll give you Rest. I slept til 2:30pm today (been sick) but does my soul know rest from striving? Psa 46:10 Loved the verse Tressa shared yesterday: OWN US. POSSESS US.
Means a lot to me to read all of your comments.
I was impressed (and convicted) by the Israelites generosity in providing all that was needed to build the Tent of Meeting. They gave, and gave and gave.
(Ex 36:5-7)They gave so much that Moses had to say,"Men! Women! No more offerings for the building of the Sanctuary!"
I love how they gave freely, they gave cheerfully, they gave abundantly, and they gave until there was "enough and enough". Often, in our lives in full-time ministry, I have struggled with feeling like I don't have anything to give, or even at times feeling like I am somehow exempt from giving sacrificially. When I don't look around for ways to give out of worship of God, I miss the opportunity to be part of what He is doing around me. I miss the blessing that comes from seeing His work accomplished in other ways than just my little sphere of ministry. When I ask Him to allow me to give, and open my eyes to how I can be generous, He always provides ways for me to participate in His work, and to see Him glorified in a new way. Sometimes, it has even opened a way for others to come to know Him.
Sadly, I forget to pray this way. I get caught up in all I lack, or just the busyness of life keeps my eyes on myself rather than others, or God's glory. I loved reading about the Israelites' faith here...I loved being reminded to pray for opportunities to see God's kingdom built through sharing what He has given me.
Thanks Staci and ladies for your comments today. As I read through today's chapters, I was moaning (even out loud to my husband) how difficult it was to concentrate on this passage of building details. And I confess, I was most impatient to get to your comments (I always make myself wait and your read your comments after I've read the passage for myself to see what the Lord may be saying to me). Reading your comments helps me to DIG DEEPER and stirs my heart to listen more closely. Great Insight on your blog today Staci ! I'm glad you landed on this reading :)
Beverly,
How is your friend we have been praying for?
Post a Comment