My working definition of a blessing is that it is good, as in pleasant, favorable, and beneficial.
These stories of Jacob blessing Joseph's sons and his own children aren't fitting into my nice little paradigm. They don't seem much like "blessings" to me. Ephraim gets the right-hand of blessing instead of first-born Manasseh. (48:19) Simeon and Levi: "I'll throw them out with the trash." (49:7) Issachar: "He gave up his freedom and went to work as a slave." (49:15) Not exactly my idea of a blessing, Jacob.
This was all swirling around in my mind when I got to Joseph's interaction with his brothers. When he replied to them, "Do I act for God?" (50:19) it hit me immediately. That's what I do all the time! I try to act for God.
I decide how things should be, what is fair - even in this reading! Simeon, Levi, and Issachar should get positive blessings like their brothers. Manasseh should be on Jacob's right hand, not Ephraim. That's my definition of good and fair.
But when I actually stop and think about it, I realize that I don't know the whole story. I have limited understanding and very few facts, yet my judgments come quickly. And that happens in everyday life too.
I demand blessings that feel like blessings to me. Things like healthy relationships, pleasant and obedient children, financial security, and personal fulfillment. I've been reluctant to view situations like financial instability and challenging relationships as blessings. I've seen them as my cross to bear (a little melodramatic, I know) or something to endure and to move beyond as quickly as possible.
Yet over the years, it's been the hurtful relationships, financial uncertainty, and irritating children that have caused me to trust God more, to pray my heart out, to depend on Him like never before. Through such trials, I've learned to walk by faith because frankly, I have no choice. I'm not in control; He is. It's humbling, and it's hard, but it's where I've found a deeper, more meaningful relationship with Christ because I've had to look at what's really going on in my heart. I've had to deal with my own sin and unholiness rather than just my circumstances.
Instead of acting for God, I am learning, like Jacob, to wait in hope for your salvation, God. (49:18) You choose whom You will bless and what that looks like. I know You are good, Lord, and You are just. I'm slowly learning to trust You even when the blessings look different than I want and to thank You for giving me what I need, even when it's difficult. Although I don't understand Your ways, I know You are Incredible. Wonderful. Holy.
So, as we finish up Genesis, what has God been saying to you? What's lingering in your mind?
We'd love to hear your thoughts. No pressure to perform though...it doesn't have to be something profound or even more than a sentence, just something meaningful to you...as much as you'd like to share.
8 comments:
What's lingering in my mind is a swirling sensation! I feel like I just can't synthesize all of Genesis and there are many disjointed thoughts floating around in my head.
The one thing that does stand out is God's name, "The Strong God" (28:3, 43:14, 48:3). Through all the drama of the stories in Genesis, He has remained the Almighty. Surely, then He has been Strong in all the drama of my life!
I have been desiring to get into His word most days, and that is very exciting for me. A recurring theme I keep hearing is,"I will be with you wherever you are."
For me, it' God's blessings are very different than my idea. It's also not based on whether I deserve it or not. Also, I
continue to be extremely thankful that He desires me to abide in Him and depend on Him always. I'm so glad!!! Let it be so in my daily life!
As I finished reading Genesis and the accompanying love letter, I thought to myself, how many time have I read this and each time it presents something different. I think the thing tht amazes me is the story is told without alibis or excuses - and without trying to assess blame. Would we oudl do that in our everyday lives.
I have found this reading of Genesis the richest I've ever had, mainly because I believe it SO helps to discuss what I'm reading with others! So thank you, Staci and Cici, for this wonderful way to challenge all of us to be in God's word on a daily basis.
What I've taken away from Genesis, more than anything, is the reminder that His love for me is truly not based on my performance. And that even when things look dismal and frustrating, He has a plan! He is there! He hasn't forgotten me or forsaken me. After reading about so many real, sinful, messed up people and seeing how God truly loved, forgave, lead and provided for them, I am freshly encouraged, knowing that He does and will continue to do the same for me!
Can't wait to see what Exodus holds for us!
Genesis is always so rich and full and this time is no exception. So many practical applications that it can be overwhelming (much like the Sermon on the Mount - yikes). I would say that in summary the main thought lingering in my mind is God's big Story will be fulfilled regardless of what each of us in our little stories get's messed up. God is Sovereign (all-powerful) and Omnipotent (all-knowing) and His Plan cannot be thwarted. Not only that...but he wants me (each of us) to be a part of that plan and allows us to be involved in His Story and in a magnificent relationship with him, regardless of our failings.
I think what I have taken away is that I have a strong sense of what is fair and I was really bothered by the favoritism and the Jerry Springer like dysfunction that followed after the parents didn’t treat each kid equally. It was in story after story. But what I realized is that I live life very entitled and expect to be treated equally (and by equally I mean that I at least get treated the best…not so concerned if others are not!) and that I expect this at work, in my family, with my friends. This is not God’s plan. This is not my right. I am not entitled to know how God is going to use circumstances in my life and in others and to expect a specific fair outcome. May I wait in hope for your salvation, God.
"Do I Act for God?" I smile cause I do. Like piling guilt on my sick college kid tonight to stay home. That smile = sin. "Evil" is what lingers with me as I close exigent Genesis. The characters we met wrestled with evil way down deep. And, I too am way worse than anyone thinks of me. And what DO trials produce in me? More obedience/more dependence/better prayers---honestly? Or am I broken before God for what I am doing to Him. With my hand over my mouth like Job! "Am I ruled by fear or broken by my failures?" "All In" over here. Incredible. Wonderful. Holy Place. Gen 28:16. Our Strong God is "behind all this" stuff going on in my life - Gen 45:5.
Post a Comment