I am God, the God of Abraham your father...I'll stay with you, I'll protect you...I'll bring you back to this very ground. I'll stick with you until I've done everything I promised you. Gen. 28:13-15Now, Jacob is leaving Beersheba again with "everything he owned" (46:1) to go to Egypt. This time, God told Jacob,
I am the God of your father. Don't be afraid...I'm going to make you a great nation there. I'll go with you...I'll bring you back here. Gen. 46:3-4Same God. Same promises. Different Jacob.
We've all left somewhere, packed up, moved, and left some place behind. We know that feeling that occurs as we drive off with all of our belongings packed in a UHaul. It's a mix of wistfulness for the past, anxiety and excitement about the future. Sometimes it's not even a physical move, it's a situational or relational change. But, we're leaving what we've known for the uncertainty of where we believe God is leading.
I actually like change. In my adult life, I have moved 7 times. A fresh start, exciting places to explore, new people to meet. However, internal change is a different matter. I struggled greatly when my concept of God was rearranged in college. I have wrestled deeply as Christian leaders have toppled, disappointed, betrayed. My mind has resisted revision as ministry philosophies and strategies failed. It all exposes my heart and how I don't always want to "go there" with God, to the difficult places of transformation.
I have the same God as Jacob. Same promises. On some level, I want to be different. Not different in situation, but in knowing and resting in His promises. Just like He promised Jacob, He promises to stay with me, to protect me, and that I don't need to fear. He promised that He has made me a new creation. (2 Cor. 5:17)
Thank You God, that in the midst of changing me, You are the same. Your promises are not altered.
When God wanted to guarantee his promises, he gave his word, a rock-solid guarantee—God can't break his word. And because his word cannot change, the promise is likewise unchangeable. Hebrews 6:18 (Msg)
1 comment:
Thanks for the reminder of God's faithfulness, Staci. Sometimes it feels like everything is in flux, but you're right, God doesn't change. He's the same God as we read about in Genesis.
Each and every comment this week has added to my understanding of the text or made me think about something I hadn't considered. Your insights and thoughts are VERY helpful. Thank you for participating! I always look forward to reading your comments, and I'm thoroughly enjoying reading along together. So fun!!
Actually, a number of times I wanted to reply to the commenter, but I wasn't exactly sure who it was. I think it might be helpful if your comment name is unclear (e.g., tcc1) or if you have a name the same as others on here (e.g., amy) it might be helpful if you would put your first and last name (or last initial) at the end of your comment. Not a requirement but thought it might make interaction in the comments a little easier.
Post a Comment