The story of Exodus: A new, paranoid Egyptian king in power. Israelites are rapidly reproducing. Fear leads to destructive plans. A baby boy saved from death. The boy grows up and he kills an Egyptian. The young man runs away. Intriguing beginning to a story of salvation.
"It is significant that God does not present us with salvation in the form of an abstract truth, or a precise definition or a catchy slogan, but as a story." Eugene Peterson, Introduction to ExodusThis is great storytelling. Very compelling. Epic even. (Anyone else having difficulty getting the image of Charlton Heston out of your mind?) But, if we push past the political drama, the human rights violations, the cowardly man chosen to lead God's people, we find the One who is the Writer of the Story. He now reveals Himself as "I-AM-WHO-I-AM". (Exodus 3:14) He hasn't changed. He's the same God. But He has listened, remembered, seen and understood. (Exodus 2:24-25) So, He's revealing more of who He is to people who need Him right now. He says to us,
"...until you hear My message wrapped up in the stories of real people, you won't trust that My power could enter your story." 66 LLIs God, I-AM-WHO-I-AM, present in my less-than-epic story? Does He really listen, remember, see and understand a stay-at-home Mom living in Austin, TX ?
Jesus said, "You're tied down to the mundane; I'm in touch with what is beyond your horizons. You live in terms of what you see and touch. I'm living on other terms. I told you that you were missing God in all this. You're at a dead end. If you won't believe I am who I say I am, you're at the dead end of sins. You're missing God in your lives." John 8:23-24 (Msg)Oh God, I don't want to miss You in my story. I don't want to miss you as I read Exodus and it all seems so distant, so larger-than-life. Help me to know You so that I can trust You.
6 comments:
Bev, Dawn, Tressa, Amanda, Aunt Jeanne, Lisa, Della, and Staci - I appreciate your comments yesterday. It's very encouraging to hear how God is speaking to you. Thanks for sharing!
I agree, Staci, with your point that the story in Exodus can seem so distant and larger-than-life. I'm already enjoying reading it in the Message translation because it seems fresh and a little more accessible to me.
The minor story of the Hebrew midwives stood out to me today. They were very courageous to defy Pharaoh's direct orders to kill all of the baby boys. 1:17 said that they had "far too much respect for God" to do what Pharaoh commanded. I pray that I will have the courage to stand up for my convictions and far too much respect for God to stray from His loving commands for our lives.
My community group discussed Phillipians 3 last night where Paul writes about "looking ahead" and "going for the prize". I think about, "how can I do this on a daily basis"? My answer to myself is to really know Christ. So I thought about this year and how reading through the bible. Is my mind set to "know God" in a new way this year? This sounds so simple as I write it down since my my mind is so limited in putting my heart into words. This love letter from God, the history and and stories I will read is because He wants me to KNOW HIM. I'm hesitant in writing this is so obvious,...duh...but I'm doing this for myself if for nothing else. He wants me to know Him. Wow! Let it be Lord. As I read Your Word God, etch in deeply in my heart and mind so that I aggressively run the race each day heading toward the prize. Let it be!
I have loved reading with you ladies! What a blessing to learn and grow together...
Genesis reminded me that God uses very broken, sinful people in His story, and it encouraged me so much...maybe He can even use me, too! And now, reading about Moses, he is yet another example of how God uses very real, imperfect people to do amazing things. Moses kills an Egyptian, and then when he meets the Living God face to face, he complains about his stuttering...he continues to bring this up in the next few chapters, even as God allows amazing miracles to happen through Moses and God provides Aaron to help him. How often do I continue to focus on my own shortcomings and failures, when the message of Genesis and Moses, and most of the Old Testament, is that everything is about God and His glory? That the fact that my weakness displays His strength (2 Cor 12:9) and serves to glorify Him all the more is so freeing. I am free to follow Him, serve Him, obey Him recklessly and imperfectly, knowing that all will work together for my good and His glory.
Lord, turn my eyes off of myself, and help me focus on you and your glory today...
In reading today my thoughts kept turning to the suffering and pain of the Israelites for so many years. Many died, all must have had loved ones die, all suffering slavery and harshness. Makes me ask why didn't God step in sooner, or even prevent it from happening? I don't have an answer, but I know God is faithful and knows best. He hears their cries and comes to rescue - alas salvation. But I still think of the many who didn't live to see the salvation. Did they live in HOPE of His Promises? I "hope" they did. Do I live in HOPE of His Promises? Perhaps I will live to see His 2nd Coming, or perhaps I will already be with Him through physical death, but regardless.... Do I live in HOPE of His Promises?
I also think about other lessons & passages from this week..seems the focus as been on suffering and God's plan. In comparison, I feel I suffer very little, but every suffering just brings us closer Christ and brings Him Glory ! Praise the Lord!
Do you know about the Emperor Moth's struggle to emerge from the cocoon? If not, check it out (google it or something). WOW!
Oh Staci, what a beautiful intro to Exodus, the story of a God Who is always "moving in" with us. I knew you were articulate but I'm touched by your day-to-day writings. Cici, as well, your writings & life remind me of this quote by C.S. Lewis: "It takes courage to live through suffering; and it takes honesty to observe it." You have both! Thank you Staci & Cici for all it takes for you to bring God to us through His Word. And to all of you on this journey, I learn something from each of you. I still hold in my heart Sarah's COMMENT from Day One about it being more human to ask: What story is my life telling? Love this blog---pretty great stuff here!
Hi everyone,
My first time to post on the blog though I've been following along in a somewhat abbreviated version as my husband Gilbert and I have moved from Lubbock to Dallas, he has started a new job, and I have begun 9 hours of online course work for this semester. In all of this, I have clung to God's promise that His presence would go with us and that He will give us rest. He is so amazingly good. On the first day of our study, the Lord encouraged me to read all references to Him outside of quotes replaced with the word "I" so iI would hear Him telling His own story. Wow! I've been blown away! It's been very tender and emotional as God sis sharing all His activities, His ups and downs, as He gives me glimpses into His Life. The Lord is becoming more and more real to me. I'm starting to think of Him more as a real person - living, "breathing" person with plans, hopes, thoughts, feelings, and a longing for meaningful relationships. He got the biggest kick out of creating this whole universe for us to share with Him, and now as we come to "the end of the beginning," I found myself pondering on all the times I've read that the Lord said. He spoke. He blessed. He promised. He made a covenant. He declared. He showed up. He met with. He ate with." And I found myself asking, "Do I get to have all of this in my life too, Lord? And He is saying "Yes. Indeed you do." And now, I have no words, just wonder.
Post a Comment